turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hypothetical question about sights...

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 01, 2017, 02:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

If you were to break a shotgun down, but not take the sights off of the barrel, would it still have the same POI when you put it back together?

the Ward

I would say yes, it will stay zeroed. I had a cantilever slug barrel for my browning that I would remove  and replace every year for deer season and the zero never changed. Rifle sights mounted to the barrel should do the same, as long as you use the same ammo it is sighted in for.

Happy

As long as the barrel nut is tightened exactly the same then yes. I personally shoot a test shot after disassembling  my guns tho. It cost me a bird once.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

deerbasshunter3

I would assume a couple of things here:

1.) As long as the sights are not adjusted, the POI should be the same, because...

2.) There should only be one way that the barrel can go back on/sit when re-assembled.

decoykrvr

Don't assume!!  I've seen too many shotguns on which the sights needed to be adjusted after barrel removal even when the magazine cap and magazine tube were marked prior to removal then reassembled lining up the marks.  Shooting a few patterning shots after reassembly, and making any needed adjustments will not only insure that your POI/POA are on, but will give you added confidence in your shotgun.  The time, effort, and expense is well worth it.

USMC0331

Quote from: Happy on March 01, 2017, 09:19:44 AM
As long as the barrel nut is tightened exactly the same then yes. I personally shoot a test shot after disassembling  my guns tho. It cost me a bird once. X2

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

FL-Boss

I can't imagine if the gun was off.. it would be enough to notice on a shotgun. Rifle =  different story.