turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cross bow

Started by g8rvet, February 28, 2017, 08:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Nephew won a crossbow in a silent auction at a charity event.  Brought it over and it had been sighted in at 20 yards.  First bolt, dead solid head shot. Would have cut it off, right where I was aiming.  He is gonna hunt it this year and we agreed we would swap and he could shoot my 20 and I would use the crossbow next year. 

Anyone ever killed with one?
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

wvmntnhick

Never a turkey. Shot a couple deer with one. It was enjoyable. More so than I'd have thought honestly. Tried turkeys with one last year but no luck. Some complain that it's not "traditional" but then neither is a compound launching carbon shafts at break neck speeds. Enjoy it. I'm betting that if you succeed with it, you'll be getting one of your own. If so, take a look at Parker. Lifetime warranty, great customer service should you need it and they're American made. Good stuff.

JLH

I bowhunt turkeys 98% of the time....when I get frustrated watching them walk, I'll break out the xbow for redemption!

I've shot 3 or 4 with the xbow, and my daughter has shot all 3 of her birds with the xbow.

We hunt them just like you would with a gun....no blind.

A good set of shooting sticks, and go heavy on the points....bumping up to 125 grain heads will aid in your accuracy....the more weight you put on the front of the arrow, the better, imo.

I use a wasp jakhammer 1 3/4" 3 blade.... i like them to be between 20 and 25 yds.(decoys help with this) ...wait for the right angle and hit em in the armpit.

Hook hanger

Shot 5 toms with a crossbow last season. Crossbows are extremely accurate. 

Gooserbat

My intention is to take one with a crossbow this year.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Hook hanger

Quote from: Treerooster on February 28, 2017, 11:31:38 PM
I've killed several over the last few years with a Xbow. I don't use a blind and do use decoys sometimes. IMO a Xbow is easier than a regular bow, but harder than a shotgun. I need the turkeys to be in just the right spot and I prefer not to shoot over 30 yards, 25 and in is better. The Xbow is clumsier than a gun, kind of wide and harder to move on a turkey than a gun. It is heavier and a little harder hold up for long periods. The biggest disadvantage from a gun is you need an absolute clear shooting lane. I hunt woods mostly and have had several gobblers in gun/Xbow range that I didn't take a shot at with my Xbow.

Unless you are only going to take head shots you need to be familiar with where to aim. A turkey can be difficult to find the small vital area with all the different positions and whether he is in strut or not.

This video does a pretty good job of explaining where to aim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6blN4_l00b0

This is spot on advice

WNCTracker

I got one last year with a crossbow, it was fun.  As another post states I hunted with it just like a gun.  Once was enough to satisfy that need, I'm back to shotgunning. 

Tail Feathers

Great timing on this post.  I got my first crossbow two days ago.  I hope to try it out on a tom this spring.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

g8rvet

Good advice all.  I am pretty familiar with turkey anatomy and suggested exactly that to my nephew about watching some videos to get a feel for where to shoot.  He is thinking he will head shoot as he does not want to wound any and it will be a kill or a clean miss.  I told him to watch the videos and I think he will change his mind.  Especially now that he sees how accurate it is. He has killed 11 deer with a bow, so he knows what to do, just needs to learn where with his crossbow.  Thanks.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.