turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Out of state public land

Started by Panhandle_strutter, February 28, 2017, 09:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panhandle_strutter

I'm from Florida and recently started branching out to fill my slam. We went to Nebraska public land last year and brought home a Merriam and plan on going back this year. However I have looked into getting on a Rio and was wondering how good Oklahoma public land is? Im not looking for a specific area just a little knowledge from someone who has done it on public land before. It doesn't have to be just Oklahoma, any kansas or Texas knowledge would be helpful too!

chcltlabz

Here's my take, and by no means have I hunted every piece of public land in those states.

What I hunted in Oklahoma was very heavily pressured.  Birds were there, but for the most part they were silent and very jumpy.  It was amazing how you could stop on the road and look at birds on private land and they would strut and carry on like you weren't even there.  Do the same on the public, and they were gone like Wiley Coyote himself was chasing them.  We killed birds, but it was with scouting and getting in front of them.  Basically bushwhacking them.  If I was to go back, I'd sit at local coffee shops and feed stores and find one of the local farmers who was willing to let you hunt their property for a fee.   I was there quite a few years ago, but we talked to a local who rented his farm for 2 days for $250, and let you stay in his bunkhouse.  We asked him how much it would cost for a longer trip, and he scratched his head and said "no one has ever needed more than 2 days to kill their birds".

I killed 2 Rios in Kansas last year on public land.  Don't let all the gloom and doom "no turkeys in Kansas anymore" stories deter you.  The walk in areas I scouted were hunted pretty hard, but there were birds there, and never once did I see a single out of state plate at the WIHA's.

You can kill Rios in New Mexico on public land too.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Panhandle_strutter

Is every zone in Kansas open to hunting without a drawing? Seems like I remember maybe Unit 4 had some sort of drawing quota type system that wasn't very clear on how it worked. Then again I could have misread it

Meadow Valley Man

My buddy and I hunted Black Kettle National Grasslands on Oklahoma in the early 90's, and though I was successful, my buddy had a bird shot off the roost right in front of him by a hunter who drove in after hearing the gobbling. I found the land to be too accessible to motorized vehicles. I called one bird in off of private land, and I was lucky to do so. I think I'd look elsewhere.

fallhnt

Quote from: Panhandle_strutter on February 28, 2017, 10:25:25 AM
Is every zone in Kansas open to hunting without a drawing? Seems like I remember maybe Unit 4 had some sort of drawing quota type system that wasn't very clear on how it worked. Then again I could have misread it
S.W. Kansas. It's on the KS Web site. I do well in the WIHA too.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

MK M GOBL

Have killed our birds off of public land in both Texas & Oklahoma for Rios, We did our hunt with scout time planned in the hunt. Didn't ever have anyone bump us but there were other hunters out, we just found an open spot and went from there.

MK M GOBL

Gooserbat

Oklahoma Public Land can be pretty good if you do your homework.

Now with that said I need a Florida swampland gobbler to finish my slam.  I also guide and opperate the turkey hunting for an outfitter in western Oklahoma.  I have two openings left this year.  I would be interested in any Florida oppertunities if you get my drift.  Pm me.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Panhandle_strutter

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 28, 2017, 11:19:42 PM
Oklahoma Public Land can be pretty good if you do your homework.

Now with that said I need a Florida swampland gobbler to finish my slam.  I also guide and opperate the turkey hunting for an outfitter in western Oklahoma.  I have two openings left this year.  I would be interested in any Florida oppertunities if you get my drift.  Pm me.

I'm assuming you're needing an Osceola, in which case I live in the panhandle and we only have easterns here. Would have been a sweet trade off though!

tha bugman

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:--------->  was there quite a few years ago, but we talked to a local who rented his farm for 2 days for $250, and let you stay in his bunkhouse.  We asked him how much it would cost for a longer trip, and he scratched his head and said "no one has ever needed more than 2 days to kill their birds".