turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Range of lead loads

Started by Browning4140, February 27, 2017, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning4140

I know that using HTL shells the killing range of turkey loads have been extended way beyond what our grandfathers could have ever imagined, but with traditional lead loads what would you say would be the ideal ethical range of a non HTL turkey loads in size 4, 5 and 6 loads

allaboutshooting

The maximum yardage may differ from hunter to hunter depending upon how much time he has spent at the range learning just how his gun/choke/shell perform. In any case, 40 yards is the maximum range I'll shoot and I much prefer 25-30.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Longshanks

35 yds and in I am confident with lead that 10 out of 10 the turkey is going down. 40+ it can be risky as I hunted primarily with 6's in the past. Stretching distance with lead is risky business. I stay inside 40yds with HTL. If I am just past 40 with HTL it is because I misjudged distance. Happens to the best of us.

howl

It's not so much how far will a high velocity #6 lead kill one. It's how far will it do it reliably and without having to choke it so tight it's easy to miss. A reliable, forgiving pattern will have a practical limit of forty yards. Practical means it'll do it if it is cold and rainy or you misjudged the distance a little.

Philippe

Lead loads will honestly take a bird well beyond ethical ranges. However the target in my own opinion whether shooting HTL or Lead is to have them within 20-30 yards.

catman529

Have killed to 50 but much prefer 30 or closer. The 50 was just luck with my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ihuntoldschool

All depends on the pattern.  Pattern fails before penetration in the shot sizes you referenced.

lowoctane

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I am always looking for a great hunt, so the hunt is my main focus and my gun does what I am comfortable with. The closer the better is the way I like it! I have passed on a few "maybes" in my times in the woods because I wasn't comfortable with my shot. This is gonna sound crazy, but I have had multiple roosters around me at a time and just watched the show!
They are an amazing critter to watch and if I don't learn something every time I'm in the woods, well, shame on me...
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Gobble!

As far as they can put 100 pellets evenly distributed in a 10" circle. The Long Beards are the only shell that pushes this limit with what their #6s can do.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 15, 2017, 08:51:38 PM
All depends on the pattern.  Pattern fails before penetration in the shot sizes you referenced.
Agreed.  This is usually the case.

Yoder409

Energy-wise................

6's  +/- 40 couple yards
5's  +/- 50 yards
4's  +/- 60 yards

Now................ try to get pattern density on the 4's and 5's at those distances.............

Ethically.................  +/-40 couple yards for ALL of those shot sizes.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.