OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Buying a firearm at a distance?

Started by WNCTracker, February 27, 2017, 09:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I've never bought a private party used firearm where it would have to be shipped before, without first firing the gun.  I know it's got to be FFL to FFL.  Anybody done this?  Any advice or cautions?  The guy seems trustworthy, supplied pattern pics etc.  How would you send a payment and be 100% certain the gun was shipped?  Just never done anything like this before, there's gotta be some method to protect the seller and the buyer.

Greg Massey

What i have found is most of the time you can go to your area gun dealer and tell him what you want and most of the time he can find it cheaper or for the same price. Your dealer can help you with the purchase of the gun and using your credit card and save the sales tax. A lot of dealers already have paperwork on file with these on-line gun dealers or stores...I order most of mine form my local dealer because he only stocks mostly all hand guns and just a few long guns...

WNCTracker

Quote from: Treerooster on February 27, 2017, 10:10:19 AM
Postal money orders have some protection built in them for fraud and such. Not sure how practical it is to apply that tho.

Are you sure it has to go FFL to FFL, I thought it just had to go to a FFL dealer. Maybe I'm wrong...dunno.

I would want an inspection period agreement with the buyer. You can have it for so many days and if you see something wrong have the ability to send it back for a refund. But then you have to trust he will refund your money. Which could be difficult, but easier if a sales organization were involved, like Gun Broker and such.

I'm not sure of anything to be honest

1iagobblergetter

PayPal I believe also has protection if you don't pay by Gift and pay with the Goods option. They do charge a fee when you select the Goods..I've never had an issue with deals like your talking,but a guy definitely could...I would make sure I had as much information on the guy as possible just in case your transaction goes bad. Also if its sent to your Gunsmith or dealer using their Ffl it might help id ask them..Goodluck...

pabossie255

I have sent a firearm from FedEx to a FFL not FFL? I would do Pay Pal as for the protection but PP is anti gun and will not protect on a firearm sale so I don't know I was paid with a postal money order but I sent the gun it is federal fraud if they don't send it with a postal money order but it could still be a big hassle getting the cash back.

MountNMan

I have purchased a gun like this once, and have sold some this way. You do have to ship it to the persons FFL, but you do not have to use an FFL to ship it. I shipped mine through UPS. It's kind of scary because you are going on someones' word whom you have never met. It's definitely a risk. Looking back, I think I would contact my bank and ask them the best and safest way to send the payment, so you have some way of possibly recovering your money if the deal is a scam. Best of luck to you!
NRA Life Member, NTA Life Member

howl

Can't be 100%. It's always a gamble. I buy some with sites for sellers where there is at least a feedback score. That and talking on the phone, having a street address for payment makes it less likely for a scam. If any of that is missing, or person is slow in communication, pass on the gun.

You only have to have one FFL on the receiving end unless someone wants it. If your local wants more than $25 to receive, find another one. Lots do it for free.

cuppednlocked

I've purchased online frequently, but through online gun auction sites.

When I send money I always use a USPS money order.  I send it with delivery confirmation and signature required.  I also ask for tracking so I can follow the shipment to my FFL.

allaboutshooting

A "neutral party" to the transaction would be the method I'd recommend. I would speak with the seller and explain that you'd like your local gun dealer to inspect the gun. Upon receipt and inspection, you will send the seller full payment for the gun. Cashier's Check, PayPal, wire transfer, etc.
Your gun dealer would have to agree to the transaction, have the gun sent to him and maybe even agree not to release it to you until proof of payment (whatever you and seller agree to as proof of payment)
These are fairly common transactions in other types of sales and should work in a gun sale as well.

An alternative to this would be for you to deposit the funds with the gun dealer and he agree to send to seller after receipt and inspection.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

wvmntnhick

I've done two transactions like this. Both worked in my favor as both guys sent the gun to me for inspection prior to payment. It does suck when you send money for something only to find you've been screwed in the end. Having said that, the USPS money order is protected (as stated above) against fraud. It's a federal offense to send payment through the mail and them not send the item described. It doesn't have to be in their described condition but they must send it. Personally, if you're feeling hesitant about it, follow your gut and back away. Better to feel secure than to feel "jacked" in the end.

turkeykiller41

I would suggest it go from FFL to FFL that way you at least have a legitamate dealer to deal with,not just some joe blow.

LI Outdoorsman

Although legally you dont have to ship from an FFL many dealers will not accept a gun if it wasnt..Most auction house dealers state FFL to FFL only..make sure before you ship!

MountNMan

I think you have received some good advice here. If you decide to go ahead with the deal, post a pic!!  :anim_25:
NRA Life Member, NTA Life Member

budtripp

I've bought a lot of guns off gunbroker and haven't had any bad transactions yet.  Usually I just checked the seller's feedback and went from there. It's just like buying off a forum like this only you have to go through an ffl. Now  private party I've never done.

wvmntnhick

Technically, there's very few laws governing the private sale of arms between individuals. The need to go through an FFL isn't necessarily required unless your particular state requires it. Some states do, others don't. WV doesn't require that I go through an FFL to sell firearms to a friend or otherwise. I do however keep a card with their personal information in case the gun gets used in a "shady" situation. It just covers my tail. Having said that, FFL is the safest way when dealing with strangers.