OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What are the advantages to a hollow out box as opposed to a pieced together box?

Started by Iowa, February 25, 2017, 10:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iowa

Most box call consists of the box and lid (two pieces). Is there a reason why I don't see call makers deviating from this style?

WillowRidgeCalls

When box calls first started out, they were glued together, a bottom, 2 rails, 2 end blocks, and a lid. As time progressed they started hewning the boxes out, and still do today. They found the a hewned box is a bit stronger and will last a lot longer. Glues start to crack as it ages. Both styles sound/play very good.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Greg Massey

Quote from: WillowRidgeCalls on February 25, 2017, 10:37:54 PM
When box calls first started out, they were glued together, a bottom, 2 rails, 2 end blocks, and a lid. As time progressed they started hewning the boxes out, and still do today. They found the a hewned box is a bit stronger and will last a lot longer. Glues start to crack as it ages. Both styles sound/play very good.
x2

TnTurk

Don't hammer me to hard for this but to me, a good glued box call sounds like a good glued box call. A good hewned out box call sounds like a turkey.

larry9988

Much easier to tune a dug out box, with a glued call you kind of got what you got as far as sound goes. But with that said, I have heard some really good glued calls. I have made hundreds of both and if you use good materials with proper dimensions and sound board thickness glued calls can sound pretty good too.