OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tiny gobbler

Started by Blong, February 22, 2017, 09:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Quote from: THattaway on February 26, 2017, 03:25:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0SOgshTufs

Older camera, sorry for the resolution but it's all I had at the time.

So what made you come to the conclusion that the bird was a bearded hen with gobbler plumage rather than a gobbler with a hen-like head?  To me, judging by the company she/he was keeping, I think I would have concluded the latter rather than the former...
...Not that it really matters...

THattaway

Fair question. Just acted like a hen I guess and also I suspected it was a bearded hen based on size alone. I saw her for several years in the fall up close (10 yards on a couple occasions) multiple times and maybe during the spring a few times at distance. I never saw spurs on her/it/shim but did on the toms with her. Never really paid attention to the plumage till it was mentioned here by Mr. Williams. Somewhere around that time I posted the video here and he confirmed my suspicions, if that is possible from the video alone. That post is long gone, I requested to have my account deleted thereafter for other reasons and OG obliged. In doing so it removed every post I made under that account name. So, I have nothing but memory and my word as reference for Mr. William's comments. I'm convinced it wasn't your normal turkey and definitely had a hen's head. Beyond that I don't claim anything else other than it acted like a hen and sounded to my ear like one. Had never run up on anything like this but have since seen pictures of hermaphrodite wood ducks, drake plumage and hen eye/bill coloration so I guess it occurs in other birds as well. And I think I got the spelling and am using the term correctly, "hermaphrodite".

And I am not saying that the OP's bird was a hen with gobbler plumage, just further supporting the idea already offered.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

cwb04

Quote from: Blong on February 24, 2017, 09:12:02 PM
Quote from: cwb04 on February 24, 2017, 01:20:46 PM
The fella holding that tiny turkey looks familiar.  His initials aren't C.J. are they?

Yep, how do you know ole Jones?

Hunted with him in GA a couple years ago.  He duck hunts out of a camp with a good friend of mine up here in the Delta.  Heck of a good guy!

LaLongbeard

I was scouting a new area of NF 2014 heard a few gobblers and while walking an old fence row I heard some hens so I  ducked behind a pine and one after another 6 hens flew into a pine then down into a clearcut running beside the fencerow.The last turkey was a gobbler he landed and went into strut he looked no bigger than the hens from the side while in strut there didn't look like 6" between his fan and head. I watched them for a few min. until they fed away. Never saw one that small or this one again I heard him gobble and he had a normal looking beard.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?