turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tiny gobbler

Started by Blong, February 22, 2017, 09:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

What you are seeing is a real trophy, an extremely old turkey.  A friend of mine was embarrassed at the small, Long-bearded, long-spurred gobbler that he brought to Ken Morgan's house one day.  It was all we could do to convince him that he had killed a real trophy, an old timer.  What really amazed us was that we didn't know that the turkey existed as we thought we knew them all on that piece of property.  He must have been one cagey gobbler whose time had come.  They lose a lot of weight in their old age.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

mtns2hunt

Quote from: StrutStopper_71 on February 23, 2017, 07:04:27 PM
A guy killed this giant mini buck on one of our wma's this year. Smallest buck I've ever seen.

Looks like he killed it with his truck!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Marc

I believe this is one of the few times I have seen men discussing "who has the smallest one."
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

silvestris

After looking closely at the feathers and spurs on this one, he might have been diseased.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

GobbleNut

Quote from: Marc on February 23, 2017, 09:58:54 PM
I believe this is one of the few times I have seen men discussing "who has the smallest one."

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:  Now that was just plain funny, Marc!

THattaway

May be totally unrelated to anything in this thread but on at least two occasions I have killed toms with what I considered very low live weight for the area I was hunting and both appeared to be mature toms. When cleaning them I found lead shot embedded in either their breast bone or hip/pelvis bone area. Seemed as if it was rotting around the pellet, from past seasons. Figured that was the culprit on those two birds.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Meadow Valley Man

Quote from: silvestris on February 24, 2017, 12:13:41 AM
After looking closely at the feathers and spurs on this one, he might have been diseased.
And,looking at the turkey, I'd say he's deceased. :jackson:

cwb04

The fella holding that tiny turkey looks familiar.  His initials aren't C.J. are they? 

FullChoke

Everything is relative and it's hard to determine exactly what you are looking at. Fer instance this hunter might clock in at 450 pounds and stand 6' 10" and then that 18 pound gobbler would suddenly look about right.

BTW, that illusion works both ways. That's why I married a woman with little hands.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

FullChoke

On a different note, this subject was discussed several years ago in Lovett Williams column here on OG. He says that what he has there might be a hen in gobbler plumage. The poster referred to a "Mossy Head"  turkey.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=8981.0

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Blong

Quote from: cwb04 on February 24, 2017, 01:20:46 PM
The fella holding that tiny turkey looks familiar.  His initials aren't C.J. are they?

Yep, how do you know ole Jones?

turkeyfoot

for sure small for eastern I've killed some light weight merriams 13 pound range but never seen eastern longbeard that small

THattaway

Quote from: FullChoke on February 24, 2017, 05:34:49 PM
On a different note, this subject was discussed several years ago in Lovett Williams column here on OG. He says that what he has there might be a hen in gobbler plumage. The poster referred to a "Mossy Head"  turkey.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=8981.0
That was my first thought but the bird pictured has spurs. I've got video footage of a hen with gobbler plummage and Mr. Williams confirmed it as such when I sent it to him. She didn't have spurs but ran with a group of 5 other toms, at least when I would see her during deer season. For all purposes she looked like a very small bearded tom. Was sharper eyed than the toms as well, was first to pick me off in a deer stand every time I saw them.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

supremepredator

"Hold me closer tiny gobbler!" sorry, couldn't resist.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

THattaway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0SOgshTufs

Older camera, sorry for the resolution but it's all I had at the time.