OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What shot size is better?

Started by Browning4140, February 22, 2017, 08:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning4140

Which shot size (4,5,6) do you prefer and why?

davisd9

What type shot? Lead? HTL?

Lead I prefer 5s. HTL I will use Hevi 6s, Fed HW 7s, or TSS 9s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

Fives or sixes in lead. Fours just won't carry enough pattern density. If your shooting HTL, I wouldn't consider 5's, 6's or 7's. When I shot lead I used more 5's than anytime else.

Daniel703

I don't have any experience with HTL shot but with lead I feel more comfortable with 5s. But I will soon be experimenting with 4 shot soon and see how well they do through my new choke.

surehuntsalot

4's and 5's in lead.   like the power of the 4's and the #'s and density  of the 5's
6's in the htl loads
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Bowguy

I used 4s for over 30 years w zero negative consequences n 1 bird in range getting away but the angle was awkward. I was doing a fight scene n the hens came in first and close, trying to twist n move last second I guess just didn't work out. Still couldn't believe I missed as I'm not a poke n hope kinda guy.  I've since changed to 5s but not out of necessity and w no reason

BandedSpur

Strutr

Not so sure there is a "best" shot size.  Over the years, most of my turkey shooting has been under 35 yards.  #6 lead shot has given good pattern density and produced clean kills out of my guns.  #4 or #5 might have given the same results....one of those things I'll never know. 

BowBendr

owlhoot

Lead 4's or 5's .Hevi the magblend and now Hw7.

As with any shot size you chose , pattern density should be part of your decision.

Most in our group shot Federal Grand Slam 4's  3.5" shells in 835's , 935's Berreta Extrema and Winchester Super X 2's . 125-140 in the 10" at 40 was the norm. These combo's never failed to do the job on pasture and field hunting which pushed the 40 yard limit.
Sure the 5's gave a few more hits. But not enough to make a difference for us.
Now days Federal Hw7 in 3" 12 and 20 gauge is our choice with 130-160 in the 10" at 40. Some a bit higher.
Good luck with your choice!

trkehunr93

Shot lead 6's for a long time, then went to 6's in HTL, then 7's in HTL, now back to 5's with lead.  For me it's what your gun/choke performs with best.

beagler

Never Misses

Bowguy

Quote from: trkehunr93 on February 23, 2017, 12:36:42 PM
Shot lead 6's for a long time, then went to 6's in HTL, then 7's in HTL, now back to 5's with lead.  For me it's what your gun/choke performs with best.
This is the best answer right here

Philippe