turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tick Bites

Started by ncwoodsman, February 22, 2017, 02:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncwoodsman

So I'm very cautious about ticks and spray my clothes heavily with Sawyers Permethrin days in advance before hunting. I always tuck my pants legs in my knee high Lacrosse boots. I also spray down before I hit the woods with bug spray and carry a Thermocell. Well last year I had a tick seize on my leg and ended up with a bad spot similar to the dreaded bulls eye. I went to the doctor and was treated for Lyme disease. My question is do you have or use any other home remedies for keeping ticks off of you? I used to just pluck them off and move on, but as I've gotten older I have become more concerned.

Ihuntoldschool

Best thing I have found for ticks is to hunt in the mountains away from fields and food plots.   Aside from that I don't take any precautions.  Best way to fight lyme disease is with a healthy immune system.

Marc

The only way I know of to completely avoid ticks during turkey season is to not go turkey hunting.

That being said, I have noticed that they seem to have a proclivity for high grasses. If I walk through vegetation that looks "tick like "I am mediately check  my clothing, and shake myself off a bit.

also a good excuse to have your wife thoroughly check you at home when you are done hunting. You could always mention to your wife that it is a good idea for you to check her as well.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ncwoodsman

Quote from: Marc on February 22, 2017, 02:59:58 PM
The only way I know of to completely avoid text during turkey season is to not go turkey hunting.

That being said, I have noticed that they seem to have a proclivity for high grasses. If I walk through vegetation that looks "tick like "I am mediately check  my clothing, and shake myself off a bit.

also a good excuse to have your wife thoroughly check you at home when you are done hunting. You could always mention to your wife that it is a good idea for you to check her as well.

I like the last part  :TooFunny:

bbcoach

I went to Wisconsin (I thought the pines here in Eastern NC held ticks but Wisconsin definitely has us beat) a couple of springs ago to chase LB's.  My buddy didn't spray down but I did.  He was covered with ticks but I wasn't. Since then, I prepare a bottle and take it with me.   I mix my own with 10% permethrin, per the post in OG.  I will normally do all my gear (hat, gloves, vest, mask, shirt, pants, boots and jacket) several times a season.  I don't think anything is 100% but permethrin has worked for me.

gergg

I use Permethrin too, at least twice a season.....seems to work as well as anything.....Approximately 15 years ago I was bit by a particular tick and became highly allergic to any mammal meat....look up "Alpha-Gal" and read about it, not pleasant, you will immediately do everything you can to keep ticks off of you.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

ncwoodsman

I'm going to try the 10% permethrin mix as suggested and carry it in the truck to spray before hitting the woods. I'm a true believer in Permethrin as well.

TauntoHawk

permethrin stuff straight work.. wish I heard of it when i was a kid always dragging in ticks from my adventures
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tha bugman

Bowguy

There's a pretty high concentration of them where I hunt but it varies some year to year. Some places a quick walk seems to leave you crawling w em.
Here's the thing, we hunt turkeys by learning behavior/patterns. Ticks have certain characteristics too. One is they aren't mosquitos, they never instantly bite n are on you a bit before they latch on. Most my hunts I simply strip my clothes off outside than check myself for em inside. Leaving clothes hanging outside. I often forget or don't spray n yet don't wind up wearing many.
Yes it's something to worry about, especially w the health concerns but I'm more concerned w areas that have chiggers

VaBoy

Permetherin has it's own side of horrors if not used as labeled but if done properly is worth the risk . Best advice is to have your wife or girlfriend or if your lucky , both  ;) , check you over good after the hunt. Ticks must be attached for 24 hours in order to transfer the Lyme virus to humans. An ounce of prevention as they say...

trkehunr93

Quote from: gergg on February 22, 2017, 03:49:40 PM
I use Permethrin too, at least twice a season.....seems to work as well as anything.....Approximately 15 years ago I was bit by a particular tick and became highly allergic to any mammal meat....look up "Alpha-Gal" and read about it, not pleasant, you will immediately do everything you can to keep ticks off of you.
Yep, listened to that podcast.  Dreaded lone star tick!  I use Permethrin, repellent and stop by the witch doctor on the way into the woods. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jepcho

I have been using permethrin for the last 2 years and it is amazing how well that stuff works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2eagles

I had a tick stuck to me, followed but the bullseye a couple years ago. My Dr treated me without doing any tests because the treatment is cheap compared to the testing. Other than that, I've been very lucky when it comes to ticks.

bbcoach

Here's the link for the permethrin spray http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,3417.0.html  Sawyers is .5% so mix 1 oz of 10% to 20 ozs of water that will give you .5%.  Don't spray it directly on skin.  Spray ALL of your clothes, boots, socks, vest etc and let dry.  It is normally good for several washings, so re apply as you want but let it dry before you put it on your body.  A pint bottle of 10% permethrin will give you (16) 20 oz bottles if mixed correctly.