turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help me decide on a vest???

Started by fdh54turkeyshooter, February 19, 2017, 09:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fdh54turkeyshooter

??? I am trying to decide which new turkey vest to buy. I need one with the self supporting seat system built in. So far I can only find 3. One is Bass Pros Bucklick Creek turkey vest and the other two are from Cabelas Tactical Tat'r kickstand.  One is the more and the other is the plain Tat'r kickstand. I hunt mostly Swamp country / piney woods with fairly small pines and palmettoes. So there is plenty opportunity to have to sit down quick with no tree (at least where you need one) to support your back/setup.  Bucklick creek vest is cheaper but probably lighter as well. Has anyone tried both? Opinions please. ASAP our season comes in less than 4 weeks now. Thanks in advance for any help!

shedhunta

I just got an Alpz grand slam and think I am going to have it for a long time.

Greg Massey

If i were spending money on some kind of a frame vest, i would see who has the best warranty and reviews.

captpete

I had a older Bucklick Creek vest and really liked it. I have tried a couple of other vests since and ended up with Tater 3. It doesn't have the kickstand. I like like my Tater 3, but wish I would have looked at the Bucklick Creek before I bought. In my little mind the Bucklick vest is a better all around vest...don't specifically know why, but I just like it better. The pad on it sucks. When I was using that vest, I just carried a extra pad. Now that I use a lounger most of the time the pad isn't really a big issue.

fdh54turkeyshooter

Thanks Capt. Just wondering if those frames in the Tatr vest are noisy or cumbersome in the walking process? Had one vest something like the Bucklick Creek vest that had sticks sewn into the seat that helped keep it out in position but the sticks wore a hole in the material and came out. No longer a self supporting seat now. Thinking of spending the money on that Alpha.

reynolds243

if your going with a kick stand type then without question the Alpz and the Cabelas Tactical Tatr kick stand are by far the best out there. I have both of them right now and have used the cabelas one for a few years and love it.  Both are outstanding and super comfortable and I love I never have to find a tree to set up on AND I dont have to worry about back pain anymore setting up on smaller trees. 

tha bugman

Bucklick Creek...Now known as the Redhead turkey lounger or something like that...not wild about pocket layout on those vests, but the seat is worth a little compromise.

fdh54turkeyshooter

I like the pocket design better on the Alpz due to the round pot call holder pockets. But have one question for someone that has one. It looks like in the Alpz you actually sit on a chair like the turkey lounger, when the seat/frame is in the sitting position which means no ground contact right? IF so do you get that creak or type noise when you move or turn one way or another for positioning your gun on target if you had to move?  I am thinking with the Tatr you will not because your butt is already on the cushion on the ground. So in Florida wood (Subject to be wet) the Alpz vest with the chair type seat would be an advantage on occasions.

shedhunta

Quote from: fdh54turkeyshooter on February 22, 2017, 02:32:45 PM
I like the pocket design better on the Alpz due to the round pot call holder pockets. But have one question for someone that has one. It looks like in the Alpz you actually sit on a chair like the turkey lounger, when the seat/frame is in the sitting position which means no ground contact right? IF so do you get that creak or type noise when you move or turn one way or another for positioning your gun on target if you had to move?  I am thinking with the Tatr you will not because your butt is already on the cushion on the ground. So in Florida wood (Subject to be wet) the Alpz vest with the chair type seat would be an advantage on occasions.

You sit on the cushion also with the Alpz

tha bugman

Quote from: shedhunta on February 22, 2017, 04:08:09 PM
Quote from: fdh54turkeyshooter on February 22, 2017, 02:32:45 PM
As I mentioned in another thread. I bought an ALPS at the Convention.  Skeptical at first, but I did some extensive sitting in it this morning and it is way more comfortable than I thought it would be.  Yes, the turkey lounger does not give as much buffer at the alps seat cushion.  Moving is also easier because moving locations with the turkey lounger in an extensive walk would require folding the seat back under and thereby having the part of the seat that was on the ground now pressed against your back...All I did to move this morning was standup and flip the seat cushion back into position.  BTW the magnets are incredible...way better than other vests that I have used.   Another cool feature is the ability to take the frame out of the vest and use it conventionally. 
Hope this helps.

fdh54turkeyshooter

Can someone that has used both tell me the difference on how the seat folds up on the Alps as opposed to how the seat works on the Tatr ??? speed seat? Thanks

Tail Feathers

I've had two Bucklick Creek vests and now have the Tat'r with the kickstand.
My next vest will probably be another Bucklick Creek.
That vest with some type cushion is my ideal if I'm not wanting to carry my Gobbler Lounger.
I don't use the kickstand in my tat'r vest.  The seat gets real hard after a time of sitting.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

MickT

The BPS Bucklick Creek Lounger is a great vest for lefties and pot call guys. 2 double pot pockets on the right side and striker pockets inside the left panel. The weight isn't too bad if you don't fill up the hydration bladder. It's great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tha bugman

Quote from: MickT on February 22, 2017, 07:15:32 PM
The BPS Bucklick Creek Lounger is a great vest for lefties and pot call guys. 2 double pot pockets on the right side and striker pockets inside the left panel. The weight isn't too bad if you don't fill up the hydration bladder. It's great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 pound for pound the Bucklick Creek wins every time.  I also like the fact that I can put it on in the morning and drive the truck while wearing it.  I saw on my ALPS tag that the vest weighs 4 something pounds without the frame and 6 and some change with it.  But I have mine packed already and I guess because of the weight distribution it feels fine to me.  Obviously I won't be able to drive with it on, but there is give and take with all of them I guess.