OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which bird to add to the DSD flock?

Started by bdirks, February 16, 2017, 01:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdirks

Hey folks,

First post here. Joined a while ago and have been lurking for the most part, taking in as much info as I can. Here is my question...

I am sort of a call and decoy whore. I want to add to my DSD spread and would appreciate your advice. The flock currently stands at two (2) feeders, one (1) submissive hen, and one (1) jake. I want to get a head-up hen for later in the year when stuff starts to grow up. Would you go with the upright hen or the leading hen?

Thanks,
Brian

wvlimbhanger

Upright hen. Something about the posture of that one that triggers more responses in my experience. Hens and gobblers typically focus in it more than the leading hen.

MK M GOBL

The Leading hen works as the boss of a hen group, she will pull hens to her and somewhat aggressively (hopefully with a gobbler in tow). Her body position is made to look like she is "heading" in a direction, tom will get in front of her to keep his harem together. Some will also use her as a breeder staked short (you have the Sub already). I use early season more than anything when I have a "flock" of decoys out.

The Upright will also look somewhat "boss" when next to feeders and in the absence of a Leading hens will still move to her. Body position is more alert not in a bad way, just not as relaxed as the feeding.

So for your use "late" season I would have an Upright, hens at this time are usually alone at end of season if they have already set, single hens are just off the nest to feed, drink and defecate...

You still can use the feeder at this time too, just need to stake her high so her back is just above cover by a few inches. (I use the feather crease at wing line as guide)

Next on the list is a Strutter!! I have had some awesome results with him!!

Here's my early season trio of hens, she is set slightly away from the other hens.

I will also set with my Jake and Strutter during this time too.

MK M GOBL