OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Top 3 Turkey Hunting Books

Started by brimmyfish, February 15, 2017, 07:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brimmyfish

I have never read any of the books that are mentioned here quite often. I'm looking to buy a couple of these turkey hunting books to help pass the time waiting on the season to get here. So if you had to rank your top 3 all time favorite turkey hunting books, which ones would it be? Thanks

silvestris

Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game by Ken Morgan, The Wild Turkey and Its Hunting by E.A. McIlhenny (free on Google Books) and The Old Pro Turkey Hunter by Gene Nunnery.  Why didn't you say four so I could include Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly?
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

davisd9

Will not remention those already mentioned, Old Pro is my favorite, but will add Illumination of the Flatwoods, The Turkey Hunting World of Ben Lee, and America, Wild Turkeys, and Mongrel Dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

brimmyfish

Prices on "The Old Pro Turkey Hunter" kind of caught me off guard. Wow that's an expensive book.  :drool: :drool:

TheSportsman

East of the slash by wineman and The flaming wild turkey

WildTigerTrout

"The Old Pro Turkey Hunter" is my favorite. It's about turkey hunting the old fashioned way.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: brimmyfish on February 15, 2017, 09:30:49 PM
Prices on "The Old Pro Turkey Hunter" kind of caught me off guard. Wow that's an expensive book.  :drool: :drool:
How much was it?
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

brimmyfish

ebay and amazon are priced about the same. Both are $60-65.

compton30

If you're a Kindle user like I am you can get probably close to 10 books on Turkeys and Turkey hunting from Amazon for the price of "The Old Pro Turkey Hunter" hardback. Seems like an easy decision.

LaLongbeard

Bearded Bird by Larry Hudson
Tall Timber Gabriel's by Charles Whittington
Bad Birds by Jim Spencer

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

nitro

Too many to choose from and rank.

This one is my favorite. It's the only one I know of in existence. Jim Casada doesn't even have a copy. It's a 20 page, self published book (with photographs) by my childhood Pastor's father in law. W.H. Purser of Clemson, SC.

It is to me, priceless..
Royal Slam 2008

nitro

Royal Slam 2008

WCD4

"The Truth: About Spring Turkey Hunting According to Cuz" by Ronnie "Cuz" Strickland. If you like reading first hand accounts of individual hunts, this one is great. Very entertaining.

PALongspur

1) Bad Birds - Jim Spencer

2) The American Wild Turkey - John McDaniel

3) Tenth Legion - Tom Kelly

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: silvestris on February 15, 2017, 07:27:35 PM
Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game by Ken Morgan, The Wild Turkey and Its Hunting by E.A. McIlhenny (free on Google Books) and The Old Pro Turkey Hunter by Gene Nunnery.  Why didn't you say four so I could include Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly?

X2. My choices also.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE