turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Planning an elk hunt for October 2018

Started by wvmntnhick, February 15, 2017, 04:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

I was approached by a buddy about going on an DIY elk hunt. Can anyone help me out here? Looking at either Colorado or Idaho this time and possibly Wyoming in the future. If anyone can give any insight as to which is better (Idaho or Colorado) and reasons why, I'm all ears. It'll be a DIY deal and we'll be doing the public land thing obviously. Just looking for tips at the moment. Please contact me via pm if you'd rather not broadcast it all over the net. I've got no plans to share openly other than with the other guy in on the trip. I understand that Idaho allows for multiple species to be taken while Colorado will only be elk. If anyone could give more insight, I'm open to whatever.

Fullfan

Oh boy and you think turkey hunting is addicting. I have never hunted Colorado but have friends that do. I have a hard time getting around you have to draw and then you only get a limited time to hunt.

Idaho is over the counter and the season is 4 weeks long for elk, Deer not as long.
Also Idaho is not what it was 15 years ago, don't care what Fish and Game will tell you. All they want to do is sell tags. The wolves have changed the game in a huge way, and last year there were more people camping and riding around on 4 wheelers that I have ever seen. Making the first week tough hunting.

The elk can be tough and don't stay in one place long, where we hunt this is the case.

I encourage you to do a ton of homework. We go the DIY rout, and it is about 1300.00 per man. And that is if you stay for a week or the entire season ( tags not included). We drive out and take everything we need for a month. We butcher our own animals, so we keep all the meat. ( have been screwed several times by local butchers)

Now remember I have been doing this in the same general area since 1983, so I kind of know how to get around, and find them.

Here are several pics of me and my son from last fall.

Idaho permits a second deer tag if you can afford it.

And my bull which I took the day after my son flew home

Also want to add that Idaho at least where we hunt Will Wear you out Physically mentally and emotionally.

Don't gobble at me...

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Treerooster on February 15, 2017, 05:19:59 PM
Not sure I understand your comment about only being able to hunt elk in Colorado?? I don't really elk hunt much anymore but I am not aware of any such restriction. But I haven't kept up on all the rules either.

Colorado has what they call "Elk Hunting University". It is some online instruction about elk hunting. Some of the info is particular to Colorado, but a lot is just about elk hunting no matter where they are. Its is pretty in-depth.

Here is a link to the page on the CP&W website if you want to take a look.

http://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/EHU.aspx
Apparently the time of year he's planning to go the only open season is elk. I can't swear to it but that's why I'm asking now. Obviously I'll need to look into the DNR web pages and make plenty of calls but figured I'd start here and get some minimal info prior to the "meeting" tomorrow.

Fullfan

Correct me if I'm wrong, But Colorado is a draw is it not ?? And when you draw the season you draw for is like a week long??
Don't gobble at me...

NCbowjunkie

Some areas are draw only ant I think the early gun season is draw, but I have been for archery and the later gun season and bought over the counter, the first time bow hunting the gunison area public land we stopped at a ABC store to get the licenses and tags.

Rzrbac

I believe you are correct on the CO rifle season. I have some cousins that hunt CO some and have invited me. They were buying OTC tags.

One thing to note about CO is you have to have a hunter safety card from your state to buy a tag. I was out there a couple of years ago and didn't have one.  I had called ahead and MO had contacted them verifying I had completed one and was awaiting a new card. This resulted in me having to purchase my tag from a CPW office and not at a local store. Wasn't a big deal since I drove right by one but I've heard stories of guys having issues. Once you're in their system and they sell you a tag you are good. Their law states you must have the card in conjunction with a tag unless they have a code on the tag verifying you have completed a course. Just something to be aware of.

dirtnap

I've hunted Idaho on a DIY hunt for elk/deer in 2015.  It is just like Fullfan said.  It will wear you out physically and mentally.  You can walk miles into a place and here comes a goober on a 4 wheeler.  It is not like you see on TV.  I envisioned chopping on a mouth call and here comes one running or hear one bugling on his own and just ease over there and kill him.  It was not to be.  Our group of 8 killed 3 bulls.  Being from SC, it was a trip of a lifetime.  You can also buy bear, mountain lion, wolf, deer, and elk tags OTC.

If you drive, pack a lunch.  It's a long ride(42 hours for us).  This thread got me wanting to go back. 

Rzrbac

You did good, 3 for 8. My group was 0 for 3.  Idaho has a map feature on its website that shows trails open to ATVs. Not all are but dirt bikes are allowed on some. I did see one guy who did not abide by the rules and used a 4 wheeler.

You are right they sure don't run right to you even if you have the wind right. One of these days I'll get lucky and find a dumb bull.

TauntoHawk

I'll be in Idaho this upcoming fall for the first time but we are going with an outfitter for the first time then we will try our hand at elk DIY..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

NCbowjunkie

I had always done a DIY on public land in Colorado , had good and bad hunts , then we booked with a outfitter lodge guided and all and 1 month before time to go , I had heart attack, had to have open heart surgery , I did sell my space to another friend .The next year we booked with same outfitter but we done like a drop camp using our camp supplies. Just to get on 4000 acres of private land, we went 2 for 3 and the 3rd would have filled his tag if he had stayed put in the spot we told him to go . I was spotting from another hillside as a good bull went straight to where he should have been but he had moved to the other side of the land , waiting to hear his shot but it didn't happen , we left the next morn.

wvmntnhick

I was looking at the success rates. They're definitely low and I'm not bothered by that. It's more about getting out there and enjoying things. Just want to do it one time before I get to the point I can't. If I go now though and things don't go well, I'll still be young enough to hit it another time or two before things get too out of whack. Already setting up a workout regimen. Just gotta get motivated enough to get it done and stick with it to boost the cardio and stamina. Long ways to go in both categories right now.

Gobspur

Me and two buddies backpack archery hunt OTC in Colorado wilderness and have good success.  Planning right now for our trip this fall!  We hike in 5-8 miles, no motorized vehicles allowed.  Lots of options in Colorado.  Many OTC units and several you can draw with only 1-2 points.  Also look for leftover tags.  Not positive on rifle, but I believe some units you could probably draw with no points for say elk and then also get a deer tag OTC.  Look at the draw and harvest statistics on Colorados website.  Application deadline is April 4th I believe, if you want to try for a draw.

The best advice I can give you is to head over to the Rokslide forum.  It is to western big game DIY hunting, what Oldgobbler is to turkey hunting.  Wealth of knowledge on that forum.

Fullfan

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 15, 2017, 07:10:26 PM
I'll be in Idaho this upcoming fall for the first time but we are going with an outfitter for the first time then we will try our hand at elk DIY..

Hawk who are you hunting w ?? Had a friend pay 5k to hunt with an out fitter last year. All he saw was 3 cows in a week long hunt
Don't gobble at me...

sasquatch1

both have plenty elk. Out of those id pick Idaho due to on average less people

Rzrbac

A little off topic but those mule deer are nice. Never seen any like that in the part of ID I hunted. CO was a little different, seemed like every other day I could have put an arrow in some studs. As a matter of fact, I think it has kind of curbed my appetite for chasing bucks around here. Once you see those big mulies, you realize a 150" WT kind of looks small ;D