turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kick stand vests

Started by codym, February 13, 2017, 09:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codym

Hey guys, I hunt mountain birds. I usually hike 4-5 miles in the morning and a 3-4 in the afternoon. I love the loungers but they aren't very efficient with the way I hunt, when I do sit it's usually on a ridge on a pretty good slope. It's hard sitting on the back and butt. I was looking at the tacticool tatr from cabelas, I like the pockets, looks pretty heavy duty and the kick stand looks like a good idea. No cabelas locally so no way to try before I buy. Do you guys have any experience with this vest or maybe one of the other brands? Any input would be appreciated.

Bowguy

Don't know one guy that left kickstand in. Heard of one on here. Imo they aren't heavy duty. I don't use one because of that. Lots of guys love em though

Marc

I am a small guy, and I felt they were a bit cumbersome and intrusive.

I do not, nor have I owned one, but I had a buddy who had one and let me try it...  Might change as I get a bit older, but I am far closer to 50 than I am 40, and I still find a padded seat and a tree to be perfectly comfortable...

If I am going to sit for a while, I will find a tree with a nice rock or log in front to put the gun on, and that has made a bigger difference in my comfort level than anything. 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

SteelerFan

I'm a lounger convert. But, before that... I found the HS stool to be comfortable. Especially with a foam pad, and the right log under the front to level it out.

hookedspur

I didn't like my kick-stand vest because it would push the vest up around my neck and head,
and in just a short set I began to feel like a turtle.
It didn't seem to make any difference how I adjusted the straps it would still ride up on me.
I sold it .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gobspur

Quote from: hookedspur on February 14, 2017, 07:09:28 AM
I didn't like my kick-stand vest because it would push the vest up around my neck and head,
and in just a short set I began to feel like a turtle.
I didn't seem to make any difference how I adjusted the straps it would still ride up on me.
I sold it .

X2.  I tried the cabelas tatr kickstand and the alps kickstand vest.  Both seemed to push the vest up around my neck when I sat down.  Ordered and tried several other vests last year.  Ended up sending them all back except one.  Kept the cabelas tactical tatr 2 without the kickstand.

M Sharpe

I won one this year at an NWTF banquet. I'm going to give it a try. I used a little bighorn vest for years. I always come out of the vest when I sit down. I don't sit there with the straps on me. I'll do the same with the kickstand vest.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

TauntoHawk

They are one of those items where the idea is better than the actual execution.

I as well don't know anyone who got one and likes it.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

codym

Kind of what I was worried about, Im 5'10 250 with a pretty wide back so I was worried about not being able to fit into it. I think I will try something different as I do need a new vest this year.

reynolds243

I've used one for many years and won't hunt without one anymore. They are plenty heavy duty and I've had zero issues from mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tha bugman

redhead turkey lounger all the way....I ain't luggin a frame around.

MShillhunter

I have had a different experience than the rest of you.  I love my Cabelas kickstand vest.  I use it in all situations and it has always been comfortable.  I don't notice it walking around.  I am 6' 185

Mizzouhntr

I am 5'10 160... alwys toted my chair around or seat cusion... alot of times never found the right tree to lean against. I went with the Alpz grand slam turkey vest. I love it.. my only complaint is that the cushion sucks in the seat... however, i am handy with a sewing awl. I cut it open, uses some leftover high density foam from a patio furniture redo ($14 for enough to do 5 seat pads) restuffed it and sewed it up.. now its perfect. I run and gun in Missouri and Kansas turkey hunting... covering many miles each day. Being a smaller frame guy i was worried about it being cumbersome... its not.. though i do take it off on my last few yards as i belly crawl into the turkeys.

shedhunta

I just got an Alpz Grand slam today never thinking I would keep the frame.  Well I think I will.   So far around the house and yard i love it.

Mizzouhntr

Its on sale for $72 at midwayusa