turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

hunting heavy woods and short trees / cedars

Started by 93civEJ1, February 13, 2017, 11:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

93civEJ1

So, I am in love with turkey hunting, but have only done it once on a public hunt, and the rest on some private land that I no longer live near nor have access to.

I moved to a new area where there is some land around me that I have access to with walking distance from home, but the woods is very thick with very short trees, and mostly a ton of cedars.

The woods house deer and turkey, i have seen both when walking through before, but is this type of wood good for spring turkey?

I am used to more open woods with high oaks etc and huge cow pastures skirting the woods.
Now I am next to water with thick cedar stuff.

Do turkeys roost in these type of trees as well?

turkeyfoot

How tall of trees and how thick is it like clear cut thick or semi open. Birds like opening to strut in if its all thick and no good roost trees and these things are nearby you may not have much luck how big is the property

Gamblinman

Love cedar trees. Clip a few branches, break a couple of more...instant blind.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

kjnengr

How short is short? If you are talking about the cedars/junipers of Texas that are no taller than 10-12 feet, no. 

However, my deer lease that I turkey hunt occasionally has cedar trees that are about 20 - 40 feet tall.  The turkeys roost in those all the time. 

93civEJ1

kjnengr

Quote from: 93civEJ1 on February 13, 2017, 02:46:48 PM
not 10-12 short...haha..thats very short...

Then absolutely they will roost in the cedars.  The first time I experienced it, I was a little surprised myself because there were some taller hardwoods along a creek not more than 100 yards from the bird that roosted in one of the cedar trees. 

TauntoHawk

I would say it really depends whats in the immediate area, if there is good roost sites and open strut zones at least near by they might use the cover as a late day hot weather loaf zone. Thick cedars is not on the top of my favorite spring turkey habitat to hunt but i have had luck retreating onto little cedar covered points on warm days where it can feel much cooler to scratch through the needles than out in fields for the birds.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

J.D. Shellnut

Quote from: 93civEJ1 on February 13, 2017, 02:46:48 PM
not 10-12 short...haha..thats very short...
They will roost in trees shorter than that! With the good Lord as my witness I killed a turkey that couldn't have been no more than eight feet off the ground. I swear he hopped off that limb to the ground and never flapped his wings! Lol I misjudged where he was at on a pipeline. When the sun came up he was thirty yards away from me and about eight feet off the ground!
60% of the time it works every time!

tha bugman

Man yeah I remember a gobbler in Texas that looked like he was roosted in a bush the way he was struggling to stay in the top of it!  They roost with what they got on hand or die.

Marc

If you have seen them in there, I would suppose they will use it...  Walking distance from your house, I might take a stroll or two through those wood every week till turkey season...  Look for foot prints and turkey poop, and of course turkeys.

I know in my area, that a ton of birds winter on the ranch I hunt, and the majority disperse out, but there are always at least a few that stick around.  If you find heavy traffic areas now, chances are there will be some around during the season.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.