OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cleaning metal coffee mugs...

Started by Marc, February 12, 2017, 11:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I do not know about you, but a cup of coffee before I hit the road is crucial to my turkey hunting experience...

I use a Contigo coffee mug, and generally clean it, but running plain water through my Kurig and adding dish-washing soap...  Shake it up, and release the button...  Kinda like power washing your coffee mug.  Make sure it is pointed in a safe direction, as there is some pressure and the water is hot...  I generally point the thing right at the drain in the sink and let go...  My kids think it is pretty cool.

And then someone on some forum mentioned using denture cleaner over night...  Fill up the mug, and drop a denture cleaning tablet in...  Looks cleaner than new after a quick rinse.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Gumby

HFultzjr

Never had a problem with anything but hot soapy water.
But then, maybe that's why my coffee is so good......LOL
:newmascot:

BowBendr

For my thermos', yetis and rtics I fill them about 1/3 full of water, add some ice and a teaspoon of salt. Put the lid on and shake vigorously for 1 minute. Looks like brand new, do the same for the pots on my coffee makers.

Yoder409

Just like the "Hints From Heloise" column only for redneck turkey hunters !!!

Good tips !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

HawkeyeGobbler

I like a product called Powdered Brewery Wash, a steel cleaner most often used by home brew hobbyists. You can buy a tub of it for like $6, and to clean a rambler it takes just a pinch. A few tablespoons would clean out a Thermos. It's a white powder, just sprinkle some into your cup, pour some real hot water in (boil some on the stove if the stains are tough) and shake it good. Let it set a few hours and good as new. Food grade safe, no residue, no after taste or smell.

Naylor649

Brewery wash does wonders to stainless. I'm with hawkeye

HawkeyeGobbler

The company that makes it probably would've bought the before and after pics from my last time using it. I had a Thermos that I found in storage that belonged to a deceased relative. I thought it would be neat to start using it, as it looked in great shape. I opened it up and the bottom 3 inches was coated with a nasty black tar. I've never seen anything so sticky. Plus the smell about had me gagging. I dumped boiling water and Dawn in it, and it barely took the tar off, let alone the stench. Dug out my PBW tub, and overnight you would've thought the thing was brand new. Stuff kills smells completely, not just covers them with a fruity scent (that you can sometimes taste).