OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dek suggestions

Started by Poleaxe, February 12, 2017, 04:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poleaxe

Can anyone recommend which decoys you would buy that won't break the bank.  I maybe use mine about  twice a season but their El cheapos. This will be my son's first year and since we'll be blind hunting most of the time Im gonna use some.  I like the avian x's but like most I've already dropped alot already and are going to the convention where I'll drop some more. 

dirt road ninja

The Redhead series from Basspro shop are nice and cost about have of the Avian's. I have their strutter and like it better than my Avian that costs more than twice as much. They are lighter and if they catch a pellet it's not the end of the world.

MK M GOBL

Have you looks at Flextone? They have some new decoys out in the $40/$50 hen/jake range. The don't look bad for the price, we just got them in the store 2 weeks ago.

I use DSD's and nothing else compares :)

MK M GOBL

wvmntnhick

If you find a bird that rolls up to any particular decoy and decides it's not interested based on its price tag, that sir is a bird I want nothing to do with.

Honestly, and I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, just get a decoy you can live with. The birds don't seem to care. The old foam feather flex are still selling and doing just fine. I bought the Montana miss purrfect (think that's the name) 3D decoy because it was highly discounted at the time and extremely light. Cherokee Sports makes a 3 bird flock for $30-$40. Just blow and go. Used them in the past with no issues. Find something that fits your budget and you're fine. Never have I seen a bird flat from a feather flex that wouldn't have flared from an avian or DSD. Some will commit, others won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naylor649

I'm here in IL and I have a buddy that swears by the flextone funky chicken. I know they are light on the wallet.

Roost 1

Pay once hurt once..... the dsds will be the last decoy you will ever need.

Ericbrooks

I tend to agree with wvmntnhick.
The key to turkey hunting is:   right place, right time,right bird.
A bird might be callable one day and not the next.
Don't overthink turkeys. 

I don't use deks much do to the fact if I have to bail on a setup to get in front of a tom, I don't want to have to pack them. (I have been known to leave them there to go kill a bird and pick them up on the way back to the truck) 

turkeyfoot

Depends also on where and how you hunt I'm on public a lot and ain't about to carry them hard bodied ones long ways I rarely us one but if do its one that will fold up small. I'd just stick with what you already own and spend the cash on something else

Spitten and drummen

I don't normally use decoys but last year i saw the Montana decoys and ended up buying 2 hens and a jake. They actually look pretty good , fold up flat , takes up little space and are light weight. I put them in my vest for anytime I may want to try them. Also , setup is extremely quick. I think they are a good addition to your arsenal. I have not used them  but I have not found a con yet.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

beakbuster10

Hs strut has some good looking decoys that won't break the bank. If you do decide to spend avian money, I'd get deceptions before avian. They look better at the same price.

Bowguy

Quote from: Roost 1 on February 12, 2017, 10:36:16 PM
Pay once hurt once..... the dsds will be the last decoy you will ever need.
Agreed!

BowBendr

Quote from: turkeyfoot on February 13, 2017, 02:20:24 AMI'd just stick with what you already own and spend the cash on something else

Best answer yet.....

tha bugman

I got my hands on the new thunder chick from flextone.  Quality of avian x with a really cool decoy stake storage that sold me on it not to mention price is 39.99