OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Coyote call for locating

Started by Txag12, February 12, 2017, 09:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txag12

Want to hear yalls take on using a coyote howler on locating birds? Always hear turkeys shock gobbling in the roost go yotes howling and making noise...for some reason I am Leary since a yote is a predator just feel like it's something that could make them even more cautious in the morning. My gut says it won't bother them at all it is just part of Mother Nature and I'm over thinking it

1iagobblergetter

I've heard of Howlers  being used...If I was worried I'd just use an owl hooter...

MK M GOBL

I use a howler in the evening at times "putting them to bed" and have never had an issue, I go in with a hooter for the same thought process. Don't want it to sound like a coyote is right there waiting for them...

MK M GOBL

Bowguy

Where I live which could be dif than where you are, there's lots of coyotes. As soon as they start up in an area the birds stop going there. In fact they even stay roosted longer n stay quiet on ground. I'd never use em in the morning n see no need to use em at all but I know some guys like em. I just don't see the need w so many locators available. Certainly couldn't help imo

Greg Massey

I just have better luck letting nature wake the woods up. I don't use any of those calls of a morning. Now i do carry a crow call for later in the morning. As turkey's become more vocal during spring, this causes the owl's to become more vocal. I just don't like giving predators my location.

wvmntnhick

I'm not using a howler. One of the places I used to hunt got so full of coyotes that it was hard to call a bird before the dogs got on ya. We saw over 100 birds in the fields leading up to the camp (4 mile stretch) and never heard a bird the next morning. Did call in coyotes on two different sets though. Buddy said he couldn't figure it out. Told him if every time I opened my mouth something ran under the tree and waited for me to pitch down and become breakfast, I'd be quiet too.

TalksToTurkeys

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 12, 2017, 12:35:50 PM
I just have better luck letting nature wake the woods up. I don't use any of those calls of a morning. Now i do carry a crow call for later in the morning. As turkey's become more vocal during spring, this causes the owl's to become more vocal. I just don't like giving predators my location.

I do the same. Some of the places I hunt around here you would think someone just dropped off a truck load of peacocks, owls, crow's and coyotes at first light.

Marc

I am just not keen on using a call that by all accounts and logic would make a bird more anxious and wary, and likely to avoid the area where said call is heard from.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: TalksToTurkeys on February 12, 2017, 05:08:10 PM

I do the same. Some of the places I hunt around here you would think someone just dropped off a truck load of peacocks, owls, crow's and coyotes at first light.
You have free range peacocks too? Thought it was just here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beakbuster10

I'm always worried about a yote howler being more reason for him to not come my direction. Especially if you hit him with it and he's so close you have to set up right away.

Marc

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 12, 2017, 07:36:08 PM
I hunted a ranch here in California that had a bunch of them (probably about 300 or so)...  Owners told me to shoot them when I could, and that they eat well.  It had not occurred to me to shoot one, but it turns out they were a bit of a pest.

They are similar to a turkey as far as far as hearing and vision...  Very wary bird, and excellent on the table.  Only wish that I had been fly-fishing when I was killing them...   Or at least had the inclination to skin and sell a cape or two.

First time I was hunting the ranch, I was with a friend, and when they sounded off, we had no idea what they were...  It was well before shoot-time, and my buddy asked what they were.  I replied "I don't know, but I am loading my gun now."
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

lumberjack

I thought I was gonna call in a peacock in Jefferson Co. several years ago, but he wouldn't cross the road.  I'm still not sure what I'd have done if he came in.  But, the gun was up and ready, just in case!!

And where is this camp you speak of? lol!!

TalksToTurkeys

There is a nice older lady that lives on a farm bordering a local state game land who has about 18 peafowl running around. The peacocks stand in the middle of the single lane dirt road in front of her house and force you to stop and blow your horn before they will move off the road. While hunting the area the peacocks are squawking constantly. The gobblers in the area are used to it and don't respond to a peacock call. I may get one Just to see if I can call in a peacock now that I know they're good eatin. I'm pretty sure she won't miss one.   :lol:

Houndstooth Game Calls

I use a 3 reed batwing to howl and had no problem out in nebraska locating birds in the evening on roost every evening and very late in the evening.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: lumberjack on February 13, 2017, 12:26:57 PM

I thought I was gonna call in a peacock in Jefferson Co. several years ago, but he wouldn't cross the road.  I'm still not sure what I'd have done if he came in.  But, the gun was up and ready, just in case!!

And where is this camp you speak of? lol!!
Braxton/Lewis county, right on the line. It's hay days are over though. Their coyote population is ridiculous and the bear population exploded. We've not seen squat for deer down there in years and I'm almost scared to run a dog with the coyotes as thick as they are. If I had a cur I'd be more likely but the feist won't fair as well against the bigger dogs I doubt. Lol.