OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3" vs 3 1/2"

Started by RebelW, February 11, 2017, 10:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelW

Not trying to :deadhorse: but i must admit I have been shooting 3 1/2 for years now just because my gun will allow it I guess and maybe thought it was just that much better. But here recently I shot a 3" the other day out of my set up and was amazed at how even and consistant it was. The 3 1/2 throw more lead but seem more splotchy now compared to the 3". Has anyone else realized this or is this just a fluke?
MAKE'M FLOP!!

Gumby

Many guns shoot 3" better than 3.5". Not a fluke. I never shoot 3.5" as I have not found it to be necessary.

turkey_picker

IMO with the 3" shells available today, there's no need to shoot 3 1/2". Just my  :z-twocents:

Greg Massey

Agree, just a good 3 inch shell is all i use...

1iagobblergetter

Same here....if you find the right choke/shell combo 3in. is plenty addiquit. All I ever use anymore...

wvmntnhick

Noticed similar results a while back. Still threw the 3-1/2" just because of the payload. Didn't make sense though because the 3" patterned better but only slightly. Now all I shoot are 3" but it's also TSS and I'd switch to a 2-3/4" if I found the right load. 2 oz of TSS isn't needed.

Jroddc

I've had similar results with the 3" shooting better. Now that's all I shoot

lunghit

Same as everyone else that posted here. All my turkey guns wil handle 3.5" but I only shoot 3" Hevi and have no issues with patterns or performance on birds or paper.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

SteelerFan

Yep

I shoot an M2, so 3" it is. My son's Nova will shoot either, but patterns better with the 3". Happy with that, since 3.5" in a pump is down right rude on the shoulder!  :gobble:

Bowguy

The 835 is one imo that seems to shoot them better, least in the guns I've seen/patterned.
To be honest though they're older guns n haven't been checked w the modern loads. That gun though throws great patterns. Part of it is the overbored barrel n open forcing comes. The shot isn't beat up as badly upon being fired I'm sure. Either way w reg lead shot it/they throw a better pattern than the 3" least in my experience

WNCTracker

Quote from: RebelW on February 11, 2017, 10:48:05 PM
Not trying to :deadhorse: but i must admit I have been shooting 3 1/2 for years now just because my gun will allow it I guess and maybe thought it was just that much better. But here recently I shot a 3" the other day out of my set up and was amazed at how even and consistant it was. The 3 1/2 throw more lead but seem more splotchy now compared to the 3". Has anyone else realized this or is this just a fluke?
Last year I made the switch from 3.5 to 3" LB. After comparing patterns of each on paper I was finding that I only got 10-15 more pellets in 10" at 40yd with the 3.5 and the pattern was less even than the 3"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

I'm shooting Winchester Double X High-Velocity Turkey Loads 12-gauge 3-inch magnum shell with 1-3/4 ounces of shot at 1300 fps. Have never tried 3 1/2" for turkey

Never seen the need, for me killing birds at the 15-17 yard range with the shotgun.

MK M GOBL

Tom Foolery

My old 835 showed much favoritism to 3.5" shells.  Win HV #6's were about a 40-45 pellet difference and the Hevi13 #7's were around 60 pellets difference in the 10" at 40yds.  I don't know if it was the overbore on the 835's as they seem to do better with 3.5's or just my particular gun. 

Once I realized I didn't need the recoil of a 3.5" to kill turkeys I traded it off because I already had 12's that could handle 3" shells. I later went to a 20 gauge with 3" HW #7's.

jordanz7935

Only 3.5" guns I've owned is an 835 and a 935. 3.5" shells is what I've always fed them for turkeys. In my guns 3.5" always patterns better giving higher #'s. Ive never felt the recoil of a 3.5" shell when squeezing the trigger on a gobbler. Looking back, I've never even killed a gobbler with a 3" 12ga shell. The real question is why even shoot a 12 ga with the way a  20 ga will shoot with Hevi and HW #7's?

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: jordanz7935 on February 12, 2017, 11:18:43 AM
Only 3.5" guns I've owned is an 835 and a 935. 3.5" shells is what I've always fed them for turkeys. In my guns 3.5" always patterns better giving higher #'s. Ive never felt the recoil of a 3.5" shell when squeezing the trigger on a gobbler. Looking back, I've never even killed a gobbler with a 3" 12ga shell. The real question is why even shoot a 12 ga with the way a  20 ga will shoot with Hevi and HW #7's?
That's becoming my opinion also...if I was just starting out it would be 870 youth 20g. after patterning my son's. Even though I have well over a half dozen 12g turkey guns I still might trick out a 20g. for myself...