OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Not a turkey but...

Started by wvmntnhick, February 11, 2017, 01:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Saved a few at least. Started out squirrel hunting with the pup. Struck out. Had some time left so decided to try for some rabbits in a different spot before dark. As I was looking at some deer I heard this guy bark behind me. He crossed the road in front of me and before I could get to where it crossed it was already 70 yards away. A few lip squeaks and it came running back. Turned into a shoot or get bit situation pretty fast. Didn't need a high dollar call or a big gun. Just a 3" load of lead 7.5's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCbowjunkie

Great job , shootmall looks like he ended up with a terrible headache

wvmntnhick

Yeah. Wasn't certain the frontal shot was appropriate so I didn't post it. Nothing worse than usual but some may get offended so I left it out.

pabossie255

outdoors

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 11, 2017, 02:23:47 PM
Yeah. Wasn't certain the frontal shot was appropriate so I didn't post it. Nothing worse than usual but some may get offended so I left it out.
Nice , nice any Dead yote is a good yote
HEY THE GRAPHICS IN MOVIES NOW DAYS , A LITTLE COLOR ISNT GOING TO HURT
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Happy

Good deal

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dr Juice

Great job. Kill 'em all!

wvmntnhick

Quote from: outdoors on February 11, 2017, 02:57:21 PM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 11, 2017, 02:23:47 PM
Nice , nice any Dead yote is a good yote
HEY THE GRAPHICS IN MOVIES NOW DAYS , A LITTLE COLOR ISNT GOING TO HURT
It's actually just a red fox but they still manage to get their share of poults I'd imagine. I doubt they spend much time going after a healthy adult but they'd definitely take one that's under the weather. Haven't been out much after the predators this year and never set a single trap either. I'd tried to get on them once before on this farm this year with no luck. This was more chance than anything. Shame it's rubbed too bad to do anything with. Would've loved to have gotten it tanned.

mgm1955

Rzrbac

Called one up bowhunting once but missed.  Seems like we have more greys.  Sure would like to catch one, I have tried setting for them, they seem thin around my place. I think that maybe due to the number of coyotes.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Rzrbac on February 11, 2017, 10:07:35 PM
Called one up bowhunting once but missed.  Seems like we have more greys.  Sure would like to catch one, I have tried setting for them, they seem thin around my place. I think that maybe due to the number of coyotes.
Foxes and coyotes typically don't blend well together. We have mostly reds here but more greys back home. Grey fox tend to have a smaller home range than red foxes do. Catching them isn't difficult if you're setting on sign. The biggest thing I've found with grey fox is that you can't allow them a chance to get at the hole from behind. They're far more likely to work a set from behind so you've got to find a way to keep them from doing that. Solid backing helps a lot. Also, if you have a draw station and a nearby ant hill, just put the trap directly on top of the ant hill. That's where they're gonna go anyway. No sense going through all the headache of making a dirthole set in that case.

hookedspur

No more egg sucking for him .
Good job.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions