turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Browning BPS camo

Started by mtns2hunt, February 10, 2017, 10:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

Looked at a Browning BPS camo at the gun store the other day. It had this rubbery but nice feeling camo on it. Does anyone know where I could get this put on my gun as aftermarket? Tried to call Browning but could not through. These guns are not expensive used but I already have a BPS and would just like the camo. Plus I am working on my slam with this gun. Appreciate any feedback.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Spurs Up

I too like the look and feel of Browning's Dura-touch camo...right up until it begins to deteriorate.  Use the search feature above to find archived threads about "sticky stocks."  Sent mine back to Browning when I experienced the same. Got it back--seemed like a century later--without Dura-touch finish.  That suggests to me that aftermarket use of the finish and process is problematic.  Perhaps others have had better luck...

GunRunner

I have also experienced issues with the The Browning Dura-Touch coating. 

Initially the smooth coating was a huge selling point for me when I bought my Browning BPS Mossy Oak Break-Up NWTF 12 gauge about 10 years ago. Great gun and I have harvested many birds with it....but the Dura-Touch began to deteriorate a couple of years ago and the stock became sticky and basically impractical for use in the field.

My BPS was returned to Browning in December and I have not heard back from them to date.

As Spurs Ups suggests.....do a bit of online research...

mtns2hunt

That is a disappointment. I will wait awhile to see if Browning can straighten this out. After all I have been shooting my Browning for about 30 years and the old can of spray paint with an occasional touch up does the job. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Mike Honcho

It's been a problem Browning is aware of for many years...my BPS 10 turkey gun stocks deteriorated and I removed the duratouch ( that's a very messy 3-4 hour job) and used Mossy Oak Gunskins to replace it....I couldn't get the same camo pattern that my gun has so it doesn't look very good anymore but it still kills turkey and geese.

Personally I  would never buy another Browning with a duratouch stock...lesson learned.

wisconsinteacher

My BPS stock started to peel and get sticky so I called Browning and asked for a non-Duratouch stock and they said they do not make them.  With that said, I asked for a new one and after 9-10 months it arrived.  In the mean time, I stripped the old stock and spray painted it.  I don't know how long the paint will hold up but at this point I don't care. 

The tipping point for me on the Duratouch was when I set the gun down on some dry leaves and they stuck to the stock.  What a pain and mess. 

SgtUSMC

Mine just started to get sticky also.   Took it apart and hit the stock and forearm with a very light coat of clear matte krylon and solved the issue.

Spurs Up

Quote from: SgtUSMC on April 22, 2017, 06:43:01 PM
Mine just started to get sticky also.   Took it apart and hit the stock and forearm with a very light coat of clear matte krylon and solved the issue.

Keep us posted as to how well your fix holds up. Certainly sounds like a better option than sending it off to Browning's Arnold, MO warranty facility. They then subbed the job to a gunsmith who roughed the gun up.  Insult to injury, the turn-around time was estimated at 60-90 days. It took over 6 months. And...it's not Dura-touch but a very ordinary looking camo dip. Wouldn't do it again.