turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Oklahoma DNR??

Started by Tom Threetoes, February 10, 2017, 10:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Threetoes

Anyone had any luck getting an email response from them? I've sent them 2 emails about a list of public lands an no response. There's not much info on their website.

Tom Threetoes

That's just what I was looking for, thanks a bunch for the help.

Gamblinman

Be aware that limits on some of Oklahoma's public land can differ from regular bag limits. I know of 2 individuals that found this out the hard way.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Gooserbat

Oklahoma has lots of public land and some decent bird numbers on some of it.  We also have lots of turkey hunters.  I always expect a crowd when hunting public ground here at home.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tom Threetoes

I don't like crowds but it's just a fact of life now a days. I'd like to get a Rio and Oklahoma is the closest to place to get the job done. Kansas has them too but the numbers are way down or so I've been told. I'm too cheap to go with an outfitter and just prefer to do it on my own, so public land it is.

Gooserbat

Quote from: Tom Threetoes on February 11, 2017, 08:16:31 PM
I don't like crowds but it's just a fact of life now a days. I'd like to get a Rio and Oklahoma is the closest to place to get the job done. Kansas has them too but the numbers are way down or so I've been told. I'm too cheap to go with an outfitter and just prefer to do it on my own, so public land it is.

Then throw a dart at the map of NW Oklahoma and the one you're closest to is a good place to start.  I've hunted about half of them in the NW region and it's always been about the same.  Killed a lot of birds off of them but it was because I was willing to put in shoe leather.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

762hunter

I went last year to give it a try. 2 (4day) weekends in a row.

Came home empty handed twice.

Found some places that seemed good and had sign but only had an opportunity at a jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvboy

I went last year at the end of April.  Crowds had thinned down... I killed a Rio on public land within 4 hours the first morning and could have killed a second one, but chose to pass because I still had 5 days to hunt.. I should not have passed. I did end up killing one more on a piece of private property at the end of the hunt, but had to work my butt off for him..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

turkeykiller22

I went to OK for the first time last year, my dad went with me. Killed our 3 birds each in 1.5 days. We went the first of May. Called every bird to the gun except one. In the end we had a chance at 4 double but only finished 2 of them.

Oklahoma was great to us! Good luck and hunt hard!

Drew
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/