OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: First Time Bowhunting Question  (Read 7496 times)

Offline AC HAMMER

First Time Bowhunting Question
« on: February 10, 2017, 08:57:32 PM »
Hey all, I'm planning on taking the Bowtech out this spring instead of the Remington. My question is what's the best broadhead to use? From my understanding a lot of people like the Magnus Bullhead but I was wondering if it's worth getting it because of the need for longer arrows etc. any info/input would be great! Thanks

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: First Time Bowhunting Question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 02:21:42 PM »
So are you planning for headshots? I know they say they can also take a body shot with the 100gr heads. They sell them as a 2 arrow kit. If you are taking body shots there would be a number of heads to look at.

Couple of questions, In a blind? and Using Decoys?

MK M GOBL
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:45:09 PM by MK M GOBL »

BottomLand54

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 04:55:44 PM »
Wing body shot? I have also wandered the same question. I have been told grim reaper 2" whitetail specials 100 grains. I have killed allot of different game with a bow, if my new Mathews halon 32/7 gets here in time.and I get it set up I will be trying for turkey this year as well.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »
We shoot them through the hips, take out the legs and a birds can't fly. Not nearly as "Show" as gobbler headshots but extremely effective. We are using an expandable with 2 3/4" - 3" cuts with a solid blade. Taking a look at the new rage.

Rage Extreme Turkey Broadheads – Two-Pack

Two surgically ground, .035” thick blades
Initial slap-cut entry of nearly 3”
Meat-Hook Tip has 9/16 cutting dia.
Rage Shock Collar for optimum blade retention
Take your spring turkey hunts to the next level with the Rage Extreme Turkey Broadhead 2 Pack. Two surgically ground, .035” thick stainless steel blades produce an initial slap-cut entry hole of nearly 3” on impact. The Meat-Hook Tip has a 9/16 cutting dia. on its own and a pair of blunt notches on each side slow the arrow as quickly as possible to impair one or both wings for a faster recovery. The 100-gr. broadhead features an aerodynamic, precision-machined and anodized aluminum ferrule paired with a proprietary Rage Shock Collar™ for optimum blade retention and reliable blade deployment. Per 2.
Wt: 100 gr.

MK M GOBL
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 07:29:46 PM by MK M GOBL »

BottomLand54

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 09:03:37 PM »
Thank you, it would be hard for me to ever shoot a rage again in my life lol too much bad experience. I have killed big deer with slick trick magnums and grim reaper razorcut as 1 3/8 watch em drop haha. I know turkey they say u want something big.

Offline JLH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 04:58:36 PM »
Wasp jackhammer have treated me well with turkeys.....1 3/4" Cut with 3 blades.

I hit them sight in the wig butt, the usually flop around right there.

Offline jmart241

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 07:08:49 PM »
I also have had great luck with Wasp Jackhammers

Offline beakbuster10

• The Boss Gobbler
First Time Bowhunting Question
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 07:24:33 PM »
Cutting a gobblers head off @7 yards with Magnus bullheads is awesome. With bullheads you either kill them or you miss them. Bullheads are for the wattles up. Don't try to body shoot, it'll just bounce off or break a wing making them fox bait. Plenty of turkeys are killed every year with regular heads and body shots. I've killed turkeys with regular broadheads and body shots myself, but I prefer the Magnus. Way more turkeys are lost with body shots than head shots. If body shots were the most effective and ethical way to kill turkeys, we'd hunt with slugs in shotguns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 08:39:16 PM »
I use Rage now days. No problems.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline MKMGOBL

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 10:32:07 PM »
We have a long fall turkey season here in NH so I take full advantage of it while waiting for the weather to turn right for me to go into my deer areas. I change nothing when hunting turkeys. I shoot them with the same poundage and same fixed broad head as I do for deer. It's all a about shoot placement, knowing your shooting abilities, your bows abilities and getting on the birds. Out of the 8 fall birds with the bow I've taken all on the ground using the natural terrain, I've never lost or had to shoot a bird twice. I've missed.....but never lost a bird I've put and arrow through. 
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

Offline Kevin6Q

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 07:41:26 AM »
Bullheads are great for the kill or miss aspects. I've shot birds w/ Rage and other mechanicals and they work but bloody up a lot of meat.

The downside: If you go with the Bulheads spend the time to get them to fly right. The tune is really important and is usually quite a ways off from the normal broadhead settings so the bow essentially becomes a turkey hunt bow. The arrows sold by Magnus are a great staring spot. I've fletched up my own and use 4, 5" parabolics on a full length 340 spine arrow for my 55 lb. draw Elite E 35.

The sights need adjusting too. My zeroing is done on an old fiberfill pillow set into a grain bag. Hang the bag so it can move to absorb energy. Start close to be sure of hitting the target or plan on breaking blades when you miss the bag. After a lot of practice, 200 arrows, I was able to consistently cut a 1" line at 35 yards. Out much more and my ability to judge distance gets wonky and the arrow drop becomes pretty significant.

I've shot the Muzzy MORE and it didn't fly too well and the folding blades are a good idea but were not too practical in the field. I've never shot the Arrow Dynamic head but it looks pretty durable. The other plus is Magnus will replace the blades you break at no cost.

Quivering the large heads is a real hassle . The Magnus inserts work well if they remain in the quiver. I ended up making blade covers from soda straws and rubber bands which took no time to install/remove, kept the blades from cutting anything in the car or quiver, are super cheap and take about a minute to make up.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 07:57:04 AM »
We have a long fall turkey season here in NH so I take full advantage of it while waiting for the weather to turn right for me to go into my deer areas. I change nothing when hunting turkeys. I shoot them with the same poundage and same fixed broad head as I do for deer. It's all a about shoot placement, knowing your shooting abilities, your bows abilities and getting on the birds. Out of the 8 fall birds with the bow I've taken all on the ground using the natural terrain, I've never lost or had to shoot a bird twice. I've missed.....but never lost a bird I've put and arrow through.
This
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 06:27:05 PM »
I agree w a few comments, jackhammers are great, rage is problematic n you can use any deer set up you have if you're gonna body shoot em. Don't over think this one

Offline Dan Mallia

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 11:46:31 PM »
Quote from: beakbuster10 link=topic=69730.msg681897#msgi681897 date=1487118273
Cutting a gobblers head off @7 yards with Magnus bullheads is awesome. With bullheads you either kill them or you miss them. Bullheads are for the wattles up. Don't try to body shoot, it'll just bounce off or break a wing making them fox bait. Plenty of turkeys are killed every year with regular heads and body shots. I've killed turkeys with regular broadheads and body shots myself, but I prefer the Magnus. Way more turkeys are lost with body shots than head shots. If body shots were the most effective and ethical way to kill turkeys, we'd hunt with slugs in shotguns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.  :z-winnersmiley:

Offline turkeyhunter91

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 08:05:18 AM »
like posted above if you use the bull heads make sure you hit from the waddles up.i shot a bird with a bull head 1 time but when i shot the tip of the blade hit the blind causing it to hit him where his neck met his body, well he flew 250 yards down the field and went to scratching and picking like nothing was wrong. i looked but never found him but later on i was talking to the land owner and he was telling me about finding a tom dead in the area i shot him, i am guessing it was him. im not blaming the broad head but i figured if i was using my deer broad head and that happened again i would get a lot better penetration so i went to shooting them in the head and neck with a rage and i have had great success doing that. good luck and hope this helps