OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Get your hands on a turkey wing

Started by trkehunr93, February 10, 2017, 08:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

If you know someone that hunts turkeys in the fall ask them to save you the wing off of a hen if they kill one.  You just need the section with the long primary feathers.  Put some borax on the joint and let it dry in a semi fanned out position.  Nothing will add realism to your calling especially at flydown time, sometimes all it takes are the sounds of wingbeats to make a gobbler commit.  I carry two in my vest and work both at the same time, they also double for scratching in the leaves as well.  If you wanna sound like a turkey, then sound like a turkey.  Why a hen wing and not a gobbler wing?  If you flap the two back to back you'll notice a heavier wing beat in the gobbler wing, the hen wing has a lighter sound.  You could use either, hen wing is just my preference plus they are smaller and take up a little less room in your vest.

Greg Massey

I just use my hat and hands to make the wing noise...works good also...you can use a goose wing also, i've used those for years...

Rzrbac

I've thought about that but have always used an old boonie hat.  I use my shooting stick to scratch with or sometimes just pull up a big stick.  I've been doing this since the 80s. Sometimes I don't even call, just flap the hat and start scratching. Amazing what you can make into a turkey call.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Rzrbac on February 10, 2017, 12:02:02 PM
I've thought about that but have always used an old boonie hat.  I use my shooting stick to scratch with or sometimes just pull up a big stick.  I've been doing this since the 80s. Sometimes I don't even call, just flap the hat and start scratching. Amazing what you can make into a turkey call.
x2

Naylor649

Yea I usually just use my hat but this a good idea for sure

guesswho

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 10, 2017, 03:08:05 PM
Quote from: Rzrbac on February 10, 2017, 12:02:02 PM
x2
Something I have used for many many years and it's multi-functional if that's actually a word.   I take a leg off of an old pair of camo pants.   I cut the leg off at the knee.  I sew (well my wife sews) one end closed.   Grab each end and push in and pull out real hard making a popping sound.   More pressure at first then less pressure toward the last few pops.   Makes an excellent fly down and takes up almost zero room.   It also doubles as a head cover for dead birds while toting them out with my turkey tote, also cuts down on the blood.   I'll use it to cover a cam-corder etc while in my vest.   Comes in handy as a rag for drying something such as hands or whatever.    As far as scratching in the leaves I have always used a stiff crunchy sounding plastic bag such as a KFC bag or something.   Requires less movement than actually scratching in the leaves.  You can also add dry leaves to the bag once you set up if you want to add a little more volume.    And a plastic bag has a million other uses , especially in wet conditions.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Marc

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

compton30

Quote from: Marc on February 13, 2017, 12:20:38 AM
A pheasant wing will also work...

Hadn't considered this. My old man raises ringnecks so I will definitely be adding a wing to my vest for Spring. Big time call! Thanks!

trkehunr93

I also forgot to mention they are great for fanning yourself when you top a ridge for the umpteenth time relocating on a gobbler.  ;D

MK M GOBL

Have used the wing from my first gobbler 25 years ago, seen this on the old Primos "Truth Series" VHS. If I remember it right it was on #1. I cut my wing tips short to fit in the old vest and wrapped the bone end in tanned deer hide strips. Has helped kill a number of birds over the years, have even used it to get birds to cross over creeks.

MK M GOBL

quavers59

I like to use the Presston Pittman FLYDOWN FLAPPER. Sounds better then your old camo hat. It is nice to (sometimes) have the old Boss sail down in your direction.

rifleman

Another wingbeat sound can be achieved by using a plastic bag like Walmart bags (black is best).  Hold onto the carrying straps and the bottom of the bag and pop the bag back and forth by pulling up and down on the handles.  Works for me and easy to carry.

rockymtngobblers

I used to do this with a wing then just used my hat but I  never used two thanks for the post and thanks  to trkehuner93 for the two wing suggestion I'll get two ready now.
Female hunter hunting the wild turkey for over 20 years.
Earn your gobbler, no Roost shooting.

trkehunr93

Quote from: rockymtngobblers on March 28, 2017, 07:31:24 AM
I used to do this with a wing then just used my hat but I  never used two thanks for the post and thanks  to trkehuner93 for the two wing suggestion I'll get two ready now.
I figure they don't take up much room and when your using one you might as well use two, for me it sounds more realistic.  They literally weigh nothing so what's it gonna hurt.  Just be careful not to flap to hard or you might start flying ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twowithone

Ive used old levis too make wing sounds at fly down time also guesswho. It works and when done with it just rool it up and put it in any pocket in your vest. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.