OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Triple beard shells 5,6,7 sho

Started by pabossie255, February 09, 2017, 10:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pabossie255

Anyone shooting these if so how do they do?

dirt road ninja

I've never used them, but have heard there are much better options in that price range. That said, your gun may love them.

pabossie255

wvmntnhick

Couple guys here have tried them and haven't been impressed. I've never used them personally but after seeing the patterns, I'd just use the Winchester longbeards with a slightly more open choke.

Marc

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Greg Massey

Remington tried making a duplex load years ago, i don't think they make one anymore do they ...

pabossie255

Good to kw I'll most likely go with long beards then.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 10, 2017, 12:04:13 AM
Remington tried making a duplex load years ago, i din't think they make one anymore do they ...
I loved the Old Remington duplex loads. They shot awesome from my vintage 11-87. I might have been the only customer that liked them though :-)  I would have bought an S-load of them if I knew they were going to be discontinued.

nickp

Tried them in a couple of 870's.  They pattern similarly to the mag blends as far as even distribution goes.  They just down hold up as well as the mag blends down range being lead.  The longbeards are definitely king in lead, and as mentioned before the more open choke can do wonders.  My old wingmaster with a 30" full choke barrel sends an absolutely beautiful pattern with the 3" LB #6's.  I actually like it more than my 3 1/2 870 with chokes and the LB.  Both can kill much further than allowed to discuss, but the wingmaster puts a better spread at 40 and gives about 10 yards on the back end, but that back end is well past 40.  In fact, the longest range I have killed one which was well past 40 it can put a killing pattern at.  Out patterns the magblend in my other gun at longer distances, but still has a big enough pattern at 40 that I can flinch and still get him.  But, this is the old full choke barrel.  That gun shoots everything it seems better than my other gun with a screw in full. 

bbcoach

Several guys tried them in their guns when they first came out a few years ago but the reviews weren't all that great.  LB's have been the best lead load out there for several years.     

pabossie255

I don't even know what shell I used last year to get my gobbler at let's say 40 but I know they were 6 shot but don't know the brand as they were given to me by my friend I got the gun from and he has so many different shells he dose not remember what they were. Boy they put a great pattern and hard hitting at a distance.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: pabossie255 on February 09, 2017, 10:17:09 PM
Anyone shooting these if so how do they do?
The "Triple Beard" is a compromise between a long range shell and one that will throw a larger pattern at closer ranges. It does what it was designed to do. It will not match the WLB shells at 40 yards but does not throw the exceptional tight patterns that those shells throw at 25 or 30 yards.
I shot a number of them at some various ranges and they work as advertised but you won't see the high numbers as 40 yards that you will with some other shells.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

owlhoot

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 09, 2017, 10:22:03 PM
I've never used them, but have heard there are much better options in that price range. That said, your gun may love them.
x2 and have used some on the pattern paper . For the price just recommend using straight Heavyweights  7's

Bowguy

My buddy's gun loves em. Browning silver w .642 factory choke. He tried other shells n they shot best. He'd have no trouble reaching out. If I didn't see it I'd think it was marketing gimmick

owlhoot

Quote from: Bowguy on February 11, 2017, 10:49:12 AM
My buddy's gun loves em. Browning silver w .642 factory choke. He tried other shells n they shot best. He'd have no trouble reaching out. If I didn't see it I'd think it was marketing gimmick
Wow that's a tight choke. Isn't that barrel overbored?
If not it's still really tight , maybe that's the trick for those loads?