News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Advantages,value of single side box calls

Started by Happy hooker, February 09, 2017, 08:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy hooker

Love any excuse to get another box call
Don't have a single sided box,,always under the impression that they were more for beginners to help guide them to make the right sound.
Looking at some makers sites and actually some charge more for them which seems almost counterproductive has a buyer vs paying less for two sides and sounds.
Maybe some of you can point out the value or assets of them???

Bowguy

I had a decent sounding single sider but I felt too handicapped with what I could do with it. Gave it to my nephew.
When you slide the paddle end n get to the concave section the call breaks. When I run one it seems you gotta be careful in that area. If you go too far the call can slightly click. If you're not close its not so easy to get the second side of your note.
I will admit that the call I had sounded great but because of the probs I saw I never n wouldn't get another. In all fairness that may or may not be all single siders

KYTURKEY

I love a one-sider.  They make the best purrs and Cutts of any box out there, in my opinion. I've never understood the feeling of being handicapped by a one sider. To me, they are more realistic than a two sider.

As far as makers charging more for them, it's be cause they are harder to build. I know it wouldn't seem like it, but every call maker I've ever talked to has said this.

Patrick

1iagobblergetter

I only have one...I'd buy another ....neat and mine sounds great..

Spitten and drummen

One of the best I heard was a Ed Terifenco snakewood over chestnut. That box is outstanding. Its a pretty good wait but worth it. Also Jody Harrison of Preacherman calls had a couple at Unicoi that sounded awsome. As far as being handicapped with a one sider , I do not agree. As a matter of fact I use the right side of my 2 sider calls predominately and have had no problem sending several gobblers to meet their maker.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Bowguy

How would you gobble on em or yelp, cluck, Yelp in sequence. Not that you need to but Imo it certainly stops you from certain things.

Spitten and drummen

I don't gobble on them. I have no problem yelp cluck yelping on one in a sequence. I will tell you that there has been more or just as many turkeys killed with a lynch foolproof box call than any other box call. I just don't feel in the least handicapped with a 1 sider. Again , its just personal preference. I hunt with both.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

hunter22

Hard to imagine a box call much better than this one-sider from Ed Terefencko. Soundfile under pics.

https://soundcloud.com/hunter22-2/ed-t-snakewood

1iagobblergetter

KYTURKEY

Quote from: Bowguy on February 10, 2017, 11:23:25 AM
How would you gobble on em or yelp, cluck, Yelp in sequence. Not that you need to but Imo it certainly stops you from certain things.

I personally don't gobble on one. I hunt public land, so I don't gobble much anyway. I know people who can gobble on them. I've never had an issue yelping on one. Clucking  and yelping are just as easy as a two sided call

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: hunter22 on February 10, 2017, 12:19:59 PM
Hard to imagine a box call much better than this one-sider from Ed Terefencko. Soundfile under pics.

waiting on mine as we speak. I ordered the exact call from him last year and was told that he has started on it. Cant wait.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

turkey stew

SSCustom made an excellent single sider. I shot a late season gobbler with it when he wouldn't commit to the other callers. I don't know if Al and Josh make them now.

Yoder409

I have 3 production one-siders and they all 3 sound GREAT for whatever reason...............

A Quaker Boy Little One Sider............ it's actually AMAZING !!

A Wayne Carlton cherry paddle on a cedar box............. again, a HECK of a call.

A 30 year old H.S. Strut Champion that's mostly plastic.  It WAILS !!!

I'll have a fancy custom or two one of these days..........just because.  I like ALL boxcalls.  I don't discriminate on the basis of the number of sides.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

SteelerFan

Quote from: hunter22 on February 10, 2017, 12:19:59 PM

When I saw that last year, I thought that was quite possibly the nicest box I've ever seen. Yep, still think that!

M Sharpe

I would advise anyone to check out Russell Beard's one sider. It has a flat lid and makes some of the prettiest yelps and is a kee keeing fool. Patrick you're right, everyone I've talked to says they are harder to build than a double sider!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!