OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

weather

Started by Preacher, February 08, 2017, 11:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preacher

We here in Mississippi have had several weeks this winter that both sunburn and hypothermia were possible .   The weather has been crazy , but mostly the temps have been way above average ?   I saw 2 gobblers strutting with hens yesterday.   Has your weather been crazy ?   Do you think this will make the early part of the season better?   
Romans 8:37

C.Kimzey95

Weather here in Tennessee has been mainly way warmer than average. I've heard of a few guys seeing strutters already but I haven't seen any myself. I'm not sure how it will affect the season. I guess in my mind it depends on what the weather in the next month or month and a half does. I wouldn't mind seeing it get coldish for another month but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

Greg Massey

It's just birds being birds...weather doesn't have that much to do with the matting season...

RebelW

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 08, 2017, 11:48:15 PM
It's just birds being birds...weather doesn't have that much to do with the matting season...
You give me hope! Lol it's been warm here then will have a cold snap. I'm worried it'll get back cooler cause I worry about the old term "gobbled out". But your statement makes sense if they know to only mate in April. Haha! I would like for you to explain more about your philosophy on this subject!
MAKE'M FLOP!!

wvmntnhick

Quote from: RebelW on February 09, 2017, 12:47:38 AM
You give me hope! Lol it's been warm here then will have a cold snap. I'm worried it'll get back cooler cause I worry about the old term "gobbled out". But your statement makes sense if they know to only mate in April. Haha! I would like for you to explain more about your philosophy on this subject!
Breeding of most land dwelling species (non migratory) is based mostly on daylight hours. It's not a temperature based decision. Many people say they can't wait for a cold snap to get the rut started in the fall. It has nothing to do with temperature. Only thing temperature effects is whether they breed in daylight hours or do more of the chasing in the cooler hours of darkness. Turkeys aren't much different in regards to breeding season. They know when the poults have the best chance of survival and will release eggs at the time.

:funnyturkey:

MK M GOBL

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 09, 2017, 05:54:06 AM
Quote from: RebelW on February 09, 2017, 12:47:38 AM
Breeding of most land dwelling species (non migratory) is based mostly on daylight hours. It's not a temperature based decision. Many people say they can't wait for a cold snap to get the rut started in the fall. It has nothing to do with temperature. Only thing temperature effects is whether they breed in daylight hours or do more of the chasing in the cooler hours of darkness. Turkeys aren't much different in regards to breeding season. They know when the poults have the best chance of survival and will release eggs at the time.

:funnyturkey:

X2

Birds (Toms) are going to do what toms do no matter the weather, We kill them in the snow at times. Now them hens might have a different story if we are having a long winter/ cold spell as far as laying/setting nesting are concerned.

MK M GOBL

greencop01

:camohat:  WVMTNHICK has it right, its the length of day light each day that determines breeding, not temp.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Bowguy

Birds display for different reasons, I live much further north n normally by Feb I start seeing the behavior fairly regularly. Used to film birds a bunch n had tons of birds strutting in the snow pics/video. First few times I saw it I got a kick out of it but it's just not that unusual

turkaholic

It's been above normal here in the North East. BUT today 12 to 20" of the white.
live to hunt hunt to live

WCD4

AC HAMMER

Southwestern OH has had a pretty mild winter. We've had some colder weather here recently but it's starting to rise to mid to upper 40's even hit a upper 50 degree day last week. Not quite strutting weather but no complaints   :turkey2:

Tail Feathers

We in the south should have plenty of green in the woods to conceal us by the opener because it does promise to be an early spring.  It was 85 here yesterday.  Record high two days in a row.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

turkeyfoot

Crazy weather here in NC as well feels like April somedays Jan others. Last several weeks you could have convinced me it was March with all the changing. Won't have any effect on hunting except ay change the areas they use normally they are still in hardwoods quite bit with the heavy acorn crop we had last fall early then hit the pasture type areas as it warms. I always hope for late spring I like the cold weather and hate the heat

wmn2

It's been crazy here in SC as well. We had some bitter cold a few weeks ago, but yesterday it was in the 70's. I'd say average is mid to high 50's lately. We had thunderstorms at my house last night. I don't like it getting warm so early in the year. That just means the 100+ degree days are getting closer.

renegade19

73 degrees here on Tuesday.  25 degrees right now.  Enough said!