turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for a new trail camera

Started by laker, February 07, 2017, 07:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laker

For the last few hunting season I have been using cheaper model trail cameras (Moultrie a-5 and StealthCam P12). For this upcoming season I am looking at upgrading to a bit higher quality cams.
I have focused my research on three cams and was wondering if anyone here on OG has any experience with them or similar cams.
The three i have it narrowed down to currently are:
Bushnell Essential E2
Browning Strike Force HD
Cabelas Outfitter HD

I'm open to other suggestions in the 100-150 range. Looking for past experience with these cams or your experience with similar cameras that you do have experience with. Thanks in advance!

Naylor649

I really like my bushnell trophy cam HD aggressor. Does really good at low light and dark pictures but day pictures are great. A good set of batteries will last a full year too. Amazon has them for $145 right now

BOFF

Browning Strike Force HD

Have been very impressed with them.

If you hurry, Midway USA has them on sale for $79.99 now.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/740235/browning-strike-force-usa-hd-infrared-game-camera-10-mp-brown

God Bless,
David B.

Greg Massey

I'm a Stealth Cam guy myself..i just try to stay in the 24, 36 or 42 led...and lest than one second trigger speeds. For a really good day picture the Primos Easy Cam believe it or not has a great picture for a cheap cam...Covert are good camera also, check them out at Wing Supply on line...   I've found out camera setup in the wood or field is just about as important as having a high dollar cam..

MK M GOBL

So just a question with this, how long does a camera last you? Reason being I have a number of $$$ Game Cameras and have had great results by initially spending more on a better quality camera. My oldest camera is now 14 years old and still running great! Unfortunately the company quit making this version and opted out to go to a cheaper source of production and I wouldn't buy or recommend their cameras to anyone anymore...

If I were interested in a camera now I would be looking at a Reconyx. The only other cameras we have been having luck with is the Browning's (a few different models), bought it as a "Cheaper" camera for use on public land JIC someone's fingers got sticky... 

MK M GOBL

wvlimbhanger

I've had hit or miss luck with the newer bushnell models.

My favorite right now is covert

SteelerFan

Another vote for the Browning Strike Force...

$119.00 + free shipping here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1220006-REG/browning_btc_5hde_strike_force_elite_hd.html

I would also recommend using the lithium batteries. More expensive up front - but I've gotten 2 - 3 seasons out of a set (Aug - Jan)

BOFF

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 07, 2017, 10:03:30 PM
So just a question with this, how long does a camera last you? Reason being I have a number of $$$ Game Cameras and have had great results by initially spending more on a better quality camera. My oldest camera is now 14 years old and still running great! Unfortunately the company quit making this version and opted out to go to a cheaper source of production and I wouldn't buy or recommend their cameras to anyone anymore...

If I were interested in a camera now I would be looking at a Reconyx. The only other cameras we have been having luck with is the Browning's (a few different models), bought it as a "Cheaper" camera for use on public land JIC someone's fingers got sticky... 

MK M GOBL

I run 20 plus cameras 300 plus days of the year. These have done well.

As of spending $300-$500 on cameras, that isn't going to happen here, as needing so many of them. The Browning Strike Force cameras were originally $129.00 cameras.

They are all I currently use. I used to use Moultrie until they sold out and moved from the customer friendly location at Pelham, Alabama where you could walk in and do business. Their customer service changed, and I changed cameras.

God Bless,
David B.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: BOFF on February 07, 2017, 10:45:48 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 07, 2017, 10:03:30 PM

MK M GOBL

I run 20 plus cameras 300 plus days of the year. These have done well.

As of spending $300-$500 on cameras, that isn't going to happen here, as needing so many of them. The Browning Strike Force cameras were originally $129.00 cameras.

They are all I currently use. I used to use Moultrie until they sold out and moved from the customer friendly location at Pelham, Alabama where you could walk in and do business. Their customer service changed, and I changed cameras.

God Bless,
David B.

Close to the same situation here, I have 16 of the High Quality Cameras and 4 of the Browning's. I run these from June through Feb. pretty much just used for whitetail, will catch some turkey with them too, and bears (at times).  Will be starting a 3rd year on the Browning's and no problems yet.

A couple from the Reconyx

MK M GOBL

laker

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think im gonna jump on the deal from Midway for the Browning. I would love to be able to add the Reconyx to the list but like BOFF says, i'm planning on having a couple of cams and i just cant see spending the same on one reconyx that i can spend on 5 brownings.
I currently have four cams that i am running. I have 1 A5 Moultrie and 3 SC p12's. The A5 is one season old and takes fine pics but after 3 months the night pics quit. It takes the photo but all you can see is black.
The stealth cams work fine as well but I have been on the stand and watched deer pass my cam to check and find no photos of them passing. When it takes pics it is great but i know i am missing some pics.

Volgobbler

Does anyone know how or why you know there should be lots of pictures on your camera and there isn't. Just a glitch or could it be a certain memory card?  Noticed when I used a certain memory card there were hardly any pics. Change cards and next time full.

Greg Massey

Take you a pencil eraser and clean you SD card on those little tabs..see if that helps..That's how you clean your cards ...

Fullfan

I also run 20+ cameras year round. The new Cuddebacks are total junk, With new batteries  you will only get a battery % rating of 75. And no more than 300 pics to a set of batteries. My other 16 cameras are the Bushnell's. Some are older models  of the trophy cameras, and several of the new. I can go at least a year with 3 to 5k pics to a set of batteries.
Don't gobble at me...

wvmntnhick

Well, these aren't going to win any fan favorite awards but I've been using the wild game cameras for a while with zero issues whatsoever. Of course I've also been able to buy them new from a guy for $30. That way if one walks off I'm not out much. They've taken great pics and the batteries last all year. I did just get a primos camera from him so I'm curious to see how it compares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supremepredator

I use the strike force and love it! But i did have one malfunction this year, but there's always going to be a bad cam now and then.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"