OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New 870

Started by RebelW, February 06, 2017, 11:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelW

Got a new Rem 870 28" bottomland camo. Super Mag.. Which choke you think i should buy first?
MAKE'M FLOP!!

Full strut

Gamblinman

what shell do you want to shoot?
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

bbcoach

My 3 choices would be SSX, Sumtoy or IC in the .665 diameter.  Either one of these will give you Great patterns with just about any over the counter load.  LB #5 or 6's would be a good start.

taylorjones20

IC .665 is a really good start
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Gobble!

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 07, 2017, 08:13:21 AM
what shell do you want to shoot?

X2. Shells are more important than the choke. I have a 870 and will never use anything but a Indian Creek based on my experience with them. A .665 Indian Creek and Hevi13 #7s are hard on birds.

turkeyfoot

By far my favorite gun I've tried several chokes including Jellyhead, Kicks Com-N-Choke factory rem and Rhino. The Rhino .660 was the best for me. It would help to know what shell your wanting to shoot try to pair it up you can spend ton money trying different chokes and shells. I shoot Nitros hevi shot l can shoot farther than I care to

ILHUNTER

I have an older 870 and it is paired up with the Indian Creek .665 and magnum blends, shoots great patterns

Jbird22

If you can find one, get yourself an original Jellyhead in either .660 or .665 and call it a day!

RebelW

:wagon:I shoot long beards or magnum blends most of the time
MAKE'M FLOP!!

SKFOOTER

Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 07, 2017, 09:38:10 AM
If you can find one, get yourself an original Jellyhead in either .660 or .665 and call it a day!
EXACTLY!!! :turkey2:

RebelW

Why the old jelly head? Just curious
MAKE'M FLOP!!

LaLongbeard

You could check the Nitro web site they have choke/shell combos they have made and tested with nearly every shotgun model.The newer(2009) and up 870 tend to be a little more finicky with shot size and choke restriction. Whatever you decide every dollar you spend will be worth it when you find a combo that works and you have confidence in.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Hersh

My favorite out of the 870 shooting 3.5 mag blends is a primos tightwad. For whatever reason it loves that tube. Cheap but effective.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: RebelW on February 06, 2017, 11:43:13 PM
Got a new Rem 870 28" bottomland camo. Super Mag.. Which choke you think i should buy first? I shoot long beards or magnum blends most of the time
I'd "deep clean" the bore http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel and then try the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke http://allaboutshooting.com/products/hevi-13-turkey-choke-rem-choke-12-gauge-336
You should be ready for the season.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."