Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Strut Stopper StoryThread

Started by turkey harvester, February 06, 2017, 09:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey harvester

tell us the story of your hunt, and don't leave out any details!!
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

bornagain64

Osceola down. Story.
weight 17lbs 7 oz
beard--9"
lft spr--1 1/8"
rt spr- 1 1/8"
score is 57.9375

I had a couple birds gobbling. Some how a bird ended up behind me on the road I walked in on. He probably gobbled over a hundred times. I heard one out in front of me, to my left, but thought he was a pretty far out there. Just tried to do some soft calling, every now and then I would get a little more aggressive. I think it was a hunter, but it could have been a hen, out to my right. Every time they would call, I would cut them off. If it was a hunter I was trying to let him know I was there. After about an hour, the bird behind me is still gobbling his head off, and every now and then I would hear the bird to my left gobble. Finally I see a white head coming through the woods. He is not coming to me and I do not think he ever saw my decoy. He is making his way past me to the bird on the road. As I called to him he would start to strut and look my way, but would not come in. He changes his angle and was coming closer but was still heading to the road bird. He was directly to my left at about 50 yards, he was moving slowly to the road and would gobble at my calls. I decided to get my gun on him when he went behind some pines, I was able to get on him and only had a small window to shoot.
I estimated him at about 40 yards, When I shot he went down. The shot did not kill him, so I ran over and stepped on his neck. He was probably further then I thought.

long walk back to the truck, He felt like he weighed 30 pounds by the time I got there.   

Jroddc

turkey harvester

birdman67

Loving God's Creation!

deerbasshunter3

I am not the best story-teller, but here goes...

We had about 10 different birds gobbling from the get go. We decided to setup in some oaks just off of the swamp (where the birds were gobbling). We had a hen walk out of the swamp and to our right and right behind us, so we knew it was a good sign. After that, we had a hen walk in at about 20 or 30 yards and start kee-keeing, it was one of the coolest things I have ever heard. Next thing I knew, my cousin was telling me not to move, that there was another hen in the road, then a second, then possibly a gobbler. Out of nowhere, three hens flew back up into the swamp, and we thought we were done. Next thing I knew, he was telling me there was still a bird, and it was in full strut. He gets his gun up, and BOOM! While we were admiring his bird as it made its final flops, we heard another gobbler sound off maybe 50 yards from us down in the swamp, but we could not get him to come. So, after 10 minutes or so of taking pictures, I was getting anxious and wanting to get on another bird. So, we walked maybe 100 yards to hang his bird on an old rub shed and try to get on another one. My cousin let out a few more yelps, and a bird immediately answered back about 50-100 yards down in the swamp (we think it was the same bird that answered after his kill). How that bird didn't hear us talking I will never know... After one more set of yelps, it was evident that he was getting closer, so we jumped down against the nearest trees we could find. One more set of yelps, and the bird was maybe 30 yards from us, but we could not see him. I was expecting him to come down the road, but he cut in through the thick stuff and was making a bee-line for my cousin. I saw him pop up through the brush, and I pulled the trigger on him at about 10 yards. Unfortunately for me, it was a bad shot and he took off running (he did not fly off, though). I jumped up and sprinted after him, down the hill into the swamp, faster than I have ever run in my life. All I could think was "I'm running too fast for snakes, I'm running too fast for snakes..." I pulled the gun up and shot him again at about 30 yards. I ran to him and put the final shot on him. My cousin and I were pumped! Doubling up on opening morning is definitely something that we will remember for a long time...

turkey harvester

That's a pretty cool story. Its amazing how fast you can run when you need to, lol. Sounds like a freakin blast of a morning. Congrats to both of you on a great hunt.

birdman67

I went to listen this morning and I only heard one bird way off and I knew where he was. I have hunted this bird several days and knew he would be henned up. I have been sick this week and I wasn't feeling real good so I went back home to try to eat something and rest up. Around lunch I felt better so I decided to give him a try on a midday hunt. I set up where some woods meet a big field. I figured they would be out in the sunshine. I was pretty sure I was close to where he had roosted this morning. I sat down and called a for the next 30 minutes on and off. Then I heard a stick break. I eased around and got ready and 5 minutes later he walks out. Sometimes things are just meant to be.
9 5/8 beard, 13/16 spurs 17 lb 13 oz.
Loving God's Creation!

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: birdman67 on March 23, 2017, 07:40:50 PM
I went to listen this morning and I only heard one bird way off and I knew where he was. I have hunted this bird several days and knew he would be hemmed up. I have been sick this week and I wasn't feeling real good so I went back home to try to eat something and rest up. Around lunch I felt better so I decided to give him a try on a midday hunt. I set up where some woods meet a big field. I figured they would be out in the sunshine. I was pretty sure I was close to where he had roosted this morning. I sat down and called a for the next 30 minutes on and off. Then I heard a stick break. I eased around and got ready and 5 minutes later he walks out. Sometimes things are just meant to be.
9 5/8 beard, 13/16 spurs 17 lb 13 oz.

I like to think that everything works out the way it does for a reason. Congrats!

bornagain64

Congrats. That is where scouting paid off.
Nice job.

Jroddc

turkey harvester

Way to go and yes that's where the scouting did pay off. Glad your feeling better too. Congrats!!!

wvhoyt19

Congrats everyone! Keep the stories coming

dzsmith

Killed a second bird. not big enough to bump the score the of the last one, but ill share the pic here. public land bird after work. killed at 6pm. crappy beard. 9" long but super thin . lots of broken strands up top. decent spurs though. came in quiet. latest ive ever killed a gobbler. happy to get him
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

bornagain64