OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The Dynamic Duo!  (Read 4233 times)

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
The Dynamic Duo!
« on: February 04, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
Bonce (whitelightning) and I have had a pretty cool streak going on this year while waterfowl hunting.  We have hunted together exactly 4 times so far this season... and have seen 7 bands on those hunts!!!

First hunt was the very first hunt of the year.  I had scouted a flock of honkers for the Sept 1st opener.  I didn't know it, but a local guy saw me watching the geese and made a point to get there at 2am to beat us.. We arrived shortly after and after first punching my steering wheel a few times, went over to talk to him to see what his plan was.  Get to talking and before you know it he invites us to join him and his buddy..  Couldn't have been with cooler dudes and we had a blast, made some new friends and had a hell of a honker hunt.  When the flight started, we had 32 birds down in about 20 minutes... it was intense.  And... 3 bands :)

Hunt #2 was a duck hunt.. fast and furious 11 teal and a black duck before sunrise... a good day. 

#3 was a duck hunt on big water.. body booting the Susquehanna Flats.. Puddle ducks weren't playing that day and the only duck action was from a couple blackheads and buffies, but made up for it with the honkers.. I may have flat out sniped a goose out from under Bonce that he did a fine job calling half way across the flats giving me my limit. ;)... but he made up for it with when a trio came in nicely and he doubled.. first bird I picked up... Banded... second bird he picked up... DOUBLE BANDED!

4th hunt so far was a snow goose hunt.. Scouted a good feed but they really didn't return like we had hoped and weren't playing too nice, but we did get 1 really good pitch.  A bird I killed on the big pitch came with a little Jewelry on her...

Hopefully we get some more snow goose days in and have the chance to keep it going for a bit!  Been pretty awesome so far!!

Offline whitelightning

Re: The Dynamic Duo!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 01:09:34 PM »
Yes it has! Same deal with my father (bowhoop) as well. we've hunted together 1 day this year and got a banded mallard that day as well.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/tn8dB2k.gif/img]

Offline Doug Lewis

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 04:49:12 PM »
Sweet action fellas!

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 10:32:41 PM »
Dang, that is so awesome ! Do you guys call in about the bands to see where and when they were banded, or is that info even available ?  Cool pics  :icon_thumright:

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 10:00:27 AM »
Dang, that is so awesome ! Do you guys call in about the bands to see where and when they were banded, or is that info even available ?  Cool pics  :icon_thumright:

Yep, the 3 honkers on the resident hunt were locals, 10 miles or so from banding location. 

Bonce's pair were banded together in Southern Ontario. 

Snow goose was banded in Pond Inlet, Nunavut Canada, over 2300 miles away

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
The Dynamic Duo!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 05:46:52 AM »
Wow, that is truly amazing !

Gods of Thunder

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 07:02:08 PM »
Nice work men, what in the world do ya all do with that many nasty A$$ geese ?
Don't gobble at me...

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 08:56:24 PM »
Nice work men, what in the world do ya all do with that many nasty A$$ geese ?

No doubt, last time I bow hunted in IL my friends wife cooked a goose.....felt like that bird stayed with me for 3 days  :o

Offline whitelightning

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 10:05:09 PM »
Canada goose stew. put it in a crock pot for a couple hours. lots of potatoes and onions and carrots. makes it taste alright that way.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/tn8dB2k.gif/img]

Offline chcltlabz

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 08:47:37 AM »
All in how you cook it.  Goose is my favorite meat to use for chili, and you can substitute ground goose for any recipe you would use ground venison for.  Cooked in a crockpot with some onion soup mix then shredded makes the best pulled BBQ sandwiches I've had.  Wrap it in bacon and cook it like steak and you won't know its not beef tips.

Makes the best pastrami you have ever had too.  Most people don't know pastrami was originally made from goose, but they started using beef because it was cheaper.

Also makes great schnitzel, especially snow goose.  I'll take snows over ducks any day.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of ‘up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.