OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Boom Stick change up  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Doug Lewis

Boom Stick change up
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:40:04 PM »
Rollin with the 20 this year fellas... Been curious long enough, and to be honest, I'm starting to dislike the kick and weight of my 12..... I'll be shooting TSS and/or the Heavyweights; which ever one patterns the best.  :you_rock:

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
Re: Boom Stick change up
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 03:53:10 PM »
Right there with ya. Bought a lill 20 and mounted a Fast Fire. Also had William at Sum Toy build me a choke. Will be rolling with the TSS #9's. After seeing whet the TSS would do last year, I might never shoot any of my 12ga again..

Don't gobble at me...

Offline Doug Lewis

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 03:55:44 PM »
Same rout I'm going. I live right up the road from him, so I'm sure I'll be seeing him this coming week. Been looking forward to setting this gun up. I'll be loading 9.5's, so I'll let ya know how that goes.  :icon_thumright:

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 04:44:55 PM »
I did an 870 youth 20 gauge build about 3 years ago and I really don't think I'll ever shoot a bird with the 12 again. The weight factor alone was enough to make me ditch the 835. Technology has came too far to take the beating anymore.

Offline Doug Lewis

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 04:46:51 PM »
That's what I'm leaving for the 20. The 835 is a bad mamajama, but she fights back....

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »
Same here, After hauling my 12ga's around for the last 34 years I due for a change. We killed 9 or 11 long beards last year with the TSS 9's, out of the 12 ga mind you. But seeing what the 20 ga's are doing with the TSS I happy to make the switch. Also going to see how the Federal Heviweight #7's do also.

Old William at Sumtoy, willing to bet that ol boy is a hoot to hang out with. Just chatting with him on the phone cracks me up. Kind of like Calling Lonny Sneed, only with a worse southern drawl..
Don't gobble at me...

Offline Captain Hooks

• EZ Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 09:24:35 AM »
Hunted with a single shot 20 gauge last year. Can't cheat with this gun but that just makes it more interesting or stressful depending on the day.  But carry a gun around that's half the weight evens it out. I'm pretty sure if I find somebody to make me some 3" shell with tss in them i can probably can gain a few more yards.

Offline whitelightning

Boom Stick change up
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 10:16:32 PM »
I also did a change up. Got a tri star raptor atak with a burris ff3.  helped me get my first fall longbeard.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

[img]https://i.imgur.com/tn8dB2k.gif/img]

Offline Doug Lewis

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 01:01:18 AM »
How ya like that TriStar? I've heard they are great turkey guns when right choke/shell combo.

Offline whitelightning

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 09:16:14 PM »
Very pleased so far with it. I'm shooting the hevi 13 choke from my benelli nova (my previous turkey gun) and it patterns great. Only issue I've had is I had to custom make a plug for it, as it is a defense model, and the stud for the cyl where the firing pin is Flys out after the shot. I talked to tristar about this and they'd never heard of it happening on any other gun. The barrel is nice and short. very good gun for a couple hundred bucks.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/tn8dB2k.gif/img]

Offline Doug Lewis

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 09:25:31 PM »
What load are you using? Lead, hevi, tss...? Was wanting to see some patterns from this gun. Thinking about buying one.

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 08:32:07 AM »
I also did a change up. Got a tri star raptor atak with a burris ff3.  helped me get my first fall longbeard.

Tell us about that hunt WL, good looking tom you got there  :icon_thumright:

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 11:30:24 AM »
It seems that everyone on the boards here are drinking the 20 gauge Kool-Aid and are realizing that these guns are absolute Bad Medicine on the longevity of these loudmouthed Romeos. I have not felt under-gunned at all since switching to it.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.