turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

More on the MeatEater

Started by 2eagles, February 03, 2017, 07:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

I'm reading "American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon" by Steven Rinella and wanted to share this quote with you. Steve does the MeatEater show. How true!

"I've never wasted my time arguing with vegetarians who are opposed to hunting. They're obviously serious about their convictions, and I respect their beliefs. On the other hand, I used to be endlessly troubled by meat-eating people who were uneasy with hunters and hunting. The glaring hypocrisy of their stance made me almost blind with rage. How can someone suggest that paying for the slaughter of animals is more justifiable than taking the responsibility for one's food into one's own hands?

Clardh

Funny you posted that quote...how true. I was just talking to a friend of mine who is a vegetarian and chooses not to hunt (obviously) but doesn't have a problem with hunting. I told him of a recent camping trip with the Boy Scouts and this young boy telling me that hunting is murder. He was arguing with the rest of the boys about their decision to hunt. All the while the young boy was eating meat and of course wearing leather shoes. I wanted to explain to the boy about hypocrisy but I abstained because I had gotten in trouble before for sharing my beliefs. I guess I should have spoken up anyway and excepted the consequences! The young man has started his indoctrination and doesn't even know it.

wvmntnhick

Rinella has a way of hitting things right on the head. I've dealt with this stuff for years working in a profession that is primarily run by liberals. Not that they're all against hunting but many are and it's put me into touchy situations more often than I'd like. At this point, most of them have matured enough to stop giving me a hard time about it and I've stopped stealing their bumper stickers. It's all working out now.  :TooFunny:

beakbuster10

Steven Rinella is one the best outdoor tv personalities in my mind. He sets a great example for young hunters and is a great public figure for hunting. Hate to hijack your thread, but if you like Rinella you'll love Donnie Vincent. Donnie's River Divide is the best hunting production I've ever watched. Everything Donnie does and produces is phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Phattkopp

HECK YEAH!! Excellent video!!

Phattboy ;)

silvestris

I watched the video and a couple of Vincent's videos and while I appreciate their perspectives, I still believe that overall hunting videos will be a contributor to the demise of the sport.  At less than a month from 69, I won't be around to see it end, but at some point we will all be poachers if we are to feed our hunter/gatherer DNA.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

jonathan creason

If you like podcasts Rinella has been on the Joe Rogan Experience a couple of times.  All the old episodes are still available for download I'm pretty sure. 

I'll add a warning, Joe's language is pretty rough.

trkehunr93

Great book!  I have read all but scavengers guide to haute cuisine.  Gotta break down an order it from amazon.  It's amazing the amount of hypocrisy that is in this world, so many people think there way is the only way and how dare you contradict them.  I like his venison diplomacy that he practices to change peoples thinking about hunting.  Something we should all do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

Quote from: silvestris on February 04, 2017, 08:36:35 AM
I watched the video and a couple of Vincent's videos and while I appreciate their perspectives, I still believe that overall hunting videos will be a contributor to the demise of the sport.  At less than a month from 69, I won't be around to see it end, but at some point we will all be poachers if we are to feed our hunter/gatherer DNA.
I completely agree with what you are saying...

Watching duck  hunting and turkey hunting video's that show the easy and fun side with easy kills, fist-bumping, hootin'-hollering (after 12 guys just killed one bird out of a flock) and slow-motion money/kill shots does not impress the non-hunting communities (heck, it bothers me to some degree). 

My wife who has hunted with me and killed game herself, as well as my children who enjoy hunting with me, do not like the content of many of the hunting shows...  Much of it comes off as ugly and violent.  Never in my life hunting, have I ever seen a slow-motion death sequence of any bird I have ever shot, nor would I care to.

Now, I could care less what the anti-hunting groups think, cause we ain't gonna' change their minds, but much of the commercialized hunting videos and TV shows are more likely to push non-hunters over to the anti-hunting side.

However, guys like Donnie Vincent and Steve Rinella are great advocates and representatives of the outdoors and hunting.  They are articulate, and well versed in conservation, animal behavior, and ethics.  Their videos lay out a actual story that portrays hunting in a positive way, concentrating on game behavior, hunting ethics, and consumption of the game.  If videos from the likes of these men push people to the anti's we are lost for sure.

Personally, I feel that Rinella is a bit more entertaining and light-hearted, and I enjoy the fact that he is self-deprecating and extremely self-critical about the mistakes made in the field...  Instead of the long list of excuses, or simply editing them out, he is quick to point out his own mistakes and make a point of trying to learn from them.

My favorite 2-part series was when he went grouse hunting, and was dismally unsuccessful in the first episode...  He then paired up with a local lady hunter that showed him the ropes, and he was extremely humble about the learning experience.  It was a type of hunting that holds almost no appeal to me, but it was extremely entertaining and educational to watch.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

silvestris

I agree with you completely.  I really enjoyed the first Denny Gulvis VHS (dating myself) but to me, at least, it has all been downhill from there.  The hoop in' jn' hollering and fist bumping really repulsed me.  When I hunt, I treat the forest as if it were a huge cathedral and if someone is with me and he or she is successful, they get a big hug or handshake and a whispered "good job".  Of course the volume goes up a decibel or two when we are back in the truck with the doors closed.  A kill is a solemn event.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game