OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question for red dot users

Started by WNCTracker, February 02, 2017, 06:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

What Red dot would buy as an upgrade from the bushnell TRS-25?  $200 or less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring Fever

Fast Fire 3 or Vortex Venom reflex sights
But I have to tell you in the way of red dots that TRS for the price range you won't find a better till you go Eotech or Trijicon. But those are much more $.
I have a Trijicon MRO on an AR and love it if you can find one used for a good price.

WNCTracker

I like my trs-25. But Last year it wouldn't work in the rain. Had to shoot as one as best guess. Still got the bird because It was close but lost confidence in it.

bbcoach

I would contact Bushnell concerning the issue you have with the TRS.  This shouldn't happen with a sealed scope with the caps on tight.  Are you sure it wasn't a battery issue?

Turkeyman

I've used two Tasco red dots...one on my turkey gun and one on my bow. I bought them quite a few years ago and they cost around $100 at the time. My primary shotgun has been a Moss 835 so it's taken it's share of pounding. I've never had an issue with either of them. Last year I bought a Moss 930 to take as a backup for trips and mounted a Tasco...I used it for a few birds last spring and this past fall. I checked prior to posting this and I see whereas they can be had for considerably less than $100 now.

MK M GOBL

So my one experience with a red dot was a Bushnell HOLOsight. I ended up using a buddies gun on a hunt and a friend and I had a double coming in, I turned the sight on and I called them birds in, when I went to shoot... no sight (dead battery issue) and I could see the bead at the end of his barrel, got that on the bird and squeezed one off, friend killed his and I missed, and missed bad... don't think even touched him, he stood ran around then flew after my shot. Afterwards thinking about this when I could see the bead through the sight I was holding the end of the barrel high to have that bead in my sight plane and caused me to shoot way high. I did end up killing a bird a few hours later with the other guys gun. Two things I learned from this #1 Have extra batteries and #2 My scope doesn't need batteries.

MK M GOBL

TauntoHawk

quality reddots will last years on batteries... my fast fire say 5 years I change them at 3 never an issue rain or shine. I check it before hunts too so chances of it dying on a hunt is very unlikely.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Greg Massey

I have 2 of the Bushnell TR 25 and never have had a problem with these including batteries. I change my batteries ever other year. I also carry extra batteries. It's up to you as a hunter to make sure your equipment is always working not the fault of most red dots. Now i know sometimes these red dot's or whatever can just stop no matter what you do. I hear people all the time say don't us a saddle mount get it drilled. Well that's fine and i'm sure it makes for a better fit on the gun but i just like saddle mounts because you can still see your sights if needed again this cuts down with another problem of just have a red dot only. I've killed birds with this setup sometimes using the red dot or sights with the saddle mount.

WNCTracker

The battery was replace about 2 months before the issue and I have always caries an extra with me just in case . I opened and closed and checked gaskets. Couldn't find the issue and it happened only a few other times. But like I said I lost my confidence.

deadbuck

I have the Aimpoint and it uses 3 watch type batteries at a time stacked on top of each other. Aimpoint claims that it will last for 5 years leaving it on constantly but I turn it off when not using it.

Jmbradt3873

I use fiber optic rifle style sights on my Mossberg 500, they don't need batteries either.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Quote from: deadbuck on February 03, 2017, 07:06:23 PM
I have the Aimpoint and it uses 3 watch type batteries at a time stacked on top of each other. Aimpoint claims that it will last for 5 years leaving it on constantly but I turn it off when not using it.
I'm told by those in the know, that the military operator types turn their Aimpoints on when they get "in country" and don't turn them off until they leave.  That's sometimes a year or more.  Aimpoint definitely has the longest lasting battery power.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

WNCTracker

Quote from: Jmbradt3873 on February 03, 2017, 08:23:51 PM
I use fiber optic rifle style sights on my Mossberg 500, they don't need batteries either.

SKFOOTER

Don't overlook the Mueller Quick Shot. :you_rock:

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: WNCTracker on February 03, 2017, 09:14:24 PM
Quote from: Jmbradt3873 on February 03, 2017, 08:23:51 PM

Just saying, I use a tru glo I on a couple of ups but the 12 has fiber optics, always forgetting to turn off the red dots. Never had a dead battery, but one never knows.