OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Mossberg 835 Turkey Thug w/ red dot

Started by northms, February 02, 2017, 12:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

Ordered me a new Mossberg 835 Turkey Thug w/ red dot 12 gauge last week and should have it in my hands early next week. It has a 20" barrel.

Also found a TruGlo SSX .670 choke brand new on Ebay for $30 and have it on the way.

Excited to get to shooting it and hope it throws some good patterns. Settled on trying that choke first by what Clark has recommended on here before in other posts.

:OGturkeyhead:

agent eight seven O

Congrats on your new gun. Should be a turkey killer. I purchased the SSX after Clark's fond words on it also and I am pleased with it's performance. My 835 has a 24" barrel. With 3" #5 Longbeards it produces nice even patterns. Going to try sixes this spring. Good luck with your new set up.

northms

I shoot the LB 3" #6. They throw a great pattern at a good price. Don't need the 3 1/2". Just more punishment for the shoulder that's not needed.

bbcoach

You'll have a GREAT setup.  I have a 835 with a Red dot and shoot a .670 Pure Gold and 3 1/2" Hevi 7's with excellent results.  First off deep clean and polish the barrel.  Sight in the Red dot, at 12.5 yards, with dove loads, and finish at 40 with the LB's.  The .670 SSX should throw the LB 6's with great patterns for you.   

ezberserk

Excellent choice you'll be amazed at how well the 835's pattern.  I use a .660 Indian Creek Choke with the 3" 1.75oz #6 LB's with mine.  The patterns with the combo I run are frightening.  Like I'm sure you've read on here before it's very easy to miss under 25yds believe me.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: ezberserk on February 03, 2017, 11:40:11 AM
Excellent choice you'll be amazed at how well the 835's pattern.  I use a .660 Indian Creek Choke with the 3" 1.75oz #6 LB's with mine.  The patterns with the combo I run are frightening.  Like I'm sure you've read on here before it's very easy to miss under 25yds believe me.

I wasn't aware that IC makes an .660 for the 835, that seems awful tight.

bbcoach

I have an IC for my 835 and it is a .675.  .660 seems too tight, as well, for these overbored (10 guage) barrels.  The overbored Mossy barrels like chokes in the .670-.680 range.

northms

I'm anticipating some good patterns from the SSX .670. Once I get a few shells through it I'll let y'all know hows she's looking.

dirt road ninja

dirt road ninja

Quote from: northms on February 03, 2017, 02:15:04 PM
I'm anticipating some good patterns from the SSX .670. Once I get a few shells through it I'll let y'all know hows she's looking.

I think you'll be happy.