turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 youth 20 rebuild - UPDATE

Started by SteelerFan, February 01, 2017, 08:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

My apologies if this is repetitious to some... I've surfed through the various threads - and I'm suffering from TOO much info, lol.

I would like to end up with drilled & tapped / FFIII, dipped camo, etc. BUT... for now my project will be:

Stage 1

Replace stock with Shurshot stock...

Add a saddle mount - WHICH ONE? B-Square? Weaver? Other? I like the looks of the weaver, but I'm concerned about fit and the fact it is "composit".??? Will it hold optics secure?

Add reliable but inexpensive optics - WHICH ONE? Truglo gobbler dot? Burris? Other?

and last, a choke. Something like a carlsons, sumtoy, trulock, etc.

I'd like to hear your experience / recommendation on any or all of the above. I've already ordered the stock on sale, and it looks like I can find a truglo red dot for +/- $50, and a mount for about the same.

Should be able to do a "make-over" for @ $200 total to try the "20 experience".

THANKS for any input!

Thanks to all with your responses. Truth be known, I would have never even thought about this if it weren't for OG. So... anyway - I'm going cheap first. I LOVE all those custom 20's tricked out with the best sights, camo dip, etc - but I'm sticking to my $200 budget.

I had the 870 youth 20 - so I added:

Shurshot stock (on sale $45)
B-square saddle mount - Amazon $42
TruGlo Gobbler Dot - Amazon $42

CUSTOM camo by Hillbilly Camo Solutions - (me with $3.50 worth of supplies from Walmart)

Just need to add the choke (SumToy, Carlson's, Trulock???)

Greg Massey

I took a 870 youth with a 21 inch barrel and put a shurshot stock, saddle mount you will need is the B-square and it's the 20 gauge Express LT shotgun mount with rings and it has were you can see your regulars sights also. Now i got the Trulock 565 choke for mine , this is a good all around choke for 5,6 and Federal HW 7...you will also need to get a replacement cap that will have a sling swivel stud or just get the swivel nut and drill out the cap for a sling...i just bought the replacement cap already done form the factory. Now i mounted a Simmons turkey scope on mine and it's great and you can fine one for around 50 - 75 dollars. But if you don't want a scope , i would buy the Bushnell Tr 25 red dot...great reviews form everyone on this forum and i have one mounted on a turkey gun...You should be able to find a Bushnell Red dot for around the same 50 -75 dollars....if i can help you with anything else just let me know...Amazon is were i got the B-square , see it takes a special saddle mount for the youth because it has a small frame ...The old Rem mount for a 20 gauge will not work it's has a large frame...

Rapscallion Vermilion

I did the same sort of project this summer and went with the B-square cantilever after reading some positive reports on it here.

So far it has held up just fine.  I liked the idea of the optic tied to the barrel, but the saddle mounts get great reviews too.  I load TSS and use a Trulock .585.

Footballer

I'm building one as well. In fact, I bought the gun today. I already have the shur shot stock and went with a Carlson's .575 choke.

jordanz7935

Your definitely on the right track! I put the shurshot stock my 870 20 ga before last spring and love it. I have a sumtoy 562-5 in mine and it throws great patterns. Ive also killed a bunch with my original rsf .572 choke that does almost as good as the sumtoy with HW#7s. Cant go wrong with with any of the 3 chokes you listed ive seen 870s on here throw great patterns with all of them. I say ditch the saddle mount idea, and get it drilled and tapped. For an optic, i recommend a bushnell trs-25 or the trophy red dot, i have a $50 truglo and a trs-25, the bushnell is a much nicer red dot IMO. I have the trs-25 on my single shot baikal mounted on a short rail that was drilled and tapped with 2 holes. If i was to do it all over again with my 870 20ga, id have it done up just like the my baikal, 2 hole D&T with "small" rail and a trs-25 or fastfire/venom up top. My  :z-twocents:. Good luck with your 20 ga and post some pics once you get it done up.

Spring Fever

I too would highly recommend drilling and tapping. Run a TRS-25 or FF or Venom.... highly recommend the reflex sight absolutely love it.
Sounds like your on the right track. The only other thing I could recommend is a Patriot trigger spring to add to your list. It will shave a little over a pound off your trigger break and just make it that much better.

Full strut

get the receiver d&t to fit Will's (SUMTOY) new FF mount. The FF paired with a protector looks to be the most bulletproof design out there. this is how i am building my youth 20.

Greg Massey

Drill and tap, sorry i'm just not a drill and tap person. I like the saddle mounts because i can still see my regular sights on the gun. I've got 4 of my turkey guns with saddle mounts and one which is drilled and tap from the factory. These saddle mounts in my opinion are just as good as the factory drill and tap. With a saddle mount if you don't take care of your red dots or whatever your using that has batteries you can still see your regular sights. Looks like to me you get the best of both worlds with a saddle mount. Now i know some people can tear up anything THAT your fault for not taking care of your equipment.

Footballer

I'm going to have mine drilled and tapped for the Bushnell trs-25. What rail do I need?

Greg Massey

Quote from: Footballer on February 03, 2017, 11:37:15 AM
I'm going to have mine drilled and tapped for the Bushnell trs-25. What rail do I need?
I would get a Weaver picatinny rail, also if you have never used or looked thru a Bushnell TR - 25 it's  not a complete round circle, just wanted to let you know that...

SteelerFan

Updated with some pics. Not as purdy as some - but I'm hoping it works out. Looking forward to testing it out with some Federal HW #7's - which, by the way... HOLY SMOKES! that stuff is expensive! $4+ per shot? Good thing I'm not dove hunting with it - lol

Spring Fever

Full strut

Footballer

Looks good! I'm getting mine drilled and tapped soon. I think next year I'll get it dipped in original bottomland.

shedhunta

Looks good.  Got mine today.  Shur shot on its way.