OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Looking for advice from successful public land hunters.

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 01, 2017, 12:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Hunt mid/late mornings and afternoons.  I don't like large fields but small openings, loging roads, and such.  I mostly run and gun and decoys are just excess weight so I usually don't use them.  I do however use the terrain to funnel the birds into range.  Sitting up just 30-40 yards past a small rise is a good example.  Lastly I use satellite views on my phone for on the go scouting while I'm hunting.  It can save some long walks.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

catman529

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 04, 2017, 01:15:09 PM
Quote from: C. Brumfiel on February 04, 2017, 12:46:52 PM
The turkeys that you found tracks of in the field may be roosted several hundred yards or more from the field. I'd scout and see if I could cut them off before getting to the field. It's really hard to say what time of day they left those tracks. By finding where they roost you might be able to avoid everyone else and get first crack. Always have more than one option.

Finding out what time they were there was one reason I wanted to put out a camera. Also, this spot is about 100 yards south of a creek/oaks. I am thinking this is going to be a good area.
doesn't matter what time of day they're there right now. They will change a lot between now and season. They will fight, break up, spread out, hens will look for nesting sites, and toms will move around looking for or staying with hens. All you need to know is you have turkeys there, which you do, and you want to know the property as well as you can so you know how to move around effectively to set up on gobbling birds, or check fields without getting busted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc

The two types of areas I look for to avoid competition when hunting public land.

Areas that are more trouble to find or get to than most hunters are willing to work for.  Sometimes these areas are just a bit more trouble, sometimes a lot more trouble and work.

Or areas that seem so close and obvious that nobody will hunt.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

I like to find where people park a lot on public land so if I know there is a hot bird there, I scatter some feathers from a prior bird after a mornings hunt.  Then they find them and think that bird is dead and move on. 

LOL

I hunt public a lot and the best advice I have read here is about perseverance.  Places that are packed early on thin out as the season goes on.  Get there early and stay later.  Trek a long way in (just make sure you don't do what a friend of mine did and walk a long way in only to realize you have walked across the creek to a parking spot down a different road that about a dozen trucks were parked at.....and by friend of mine, I mean me).
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

GobbleNut

Quote from: g8rvet on February 08, 2017, 08:04:51 PM
I hunt public a lot and the best advice I have read here is about perseverance.  Places that are packed early on thin out as the season goes on.  Get there early and stay later.  Trek a long way in (just make sure you don't do what a friend of mine did and walk a long way in only to realize you have walked across the creek to a parking spot down a different road that about a dozen trucks were parked at.....and by friend of mine, I mean me).

Yup,...for the average turkey hunter that has a modicum of hunting skill and knowledge, it's all about perseverance. 
....And as for thinking you have walked to the middle of nowhere only to find that you have walked to the other side of nowhere,...been there, done that, too!

mbowyer51

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 04, 2017, 05:46:11 PM
Hunt mid/late mornings and afternoons.  I don't like large fields but small openings, loging roads, and such.  I mostly run and gun and decoys are just excess weight so I usually don't use them.  I do however use the terrain to funnel the birds into range.  Sitting up just 30-40 yards past a small rise is a good example.  Lastly I use satellite views on my phone for on the go scouting while I'm hunting.  It can save some long walks.

Great advice, I look at the satellite views on my phone as well really helps when trying to figure out the best way to get to where you think a bird is. Also, I look at topo maps of the area before hand. National Geographic sells maps of all national forest and recreation areas that have topography and every trail, gate, and parking lot marked as well. These are the most helpful when trying to figure where other hunters may be.

bghunter777

Have not read all the replys but field birds on public land can be tough get in the woods call soft and make them come looking for you. Fields beyond opening day can be a challenge unless you have them patterned very well.

j.goebel

My advice is to first and foremost be safe no turkey is worth getting shot over. Public land hunts you have to expect someone is going to be there because it is their right just as much as yours. That being said for the best success on public land. I like to get deep into a large public area and be patient if I see another hunter I look to move spots because calling to the same bird never works out. I prefer to hunt during the week because most hunters only hunt on weekends at least more than usual. Also public land birds most likely have been called to, so be subtle and have your gun patterned well out to 60 yards.  Public birds hang up further away (most times not always) because they are more educated and wait for that hen or expect to see her. I tell you what though it is rewarding when it comes together on public land. Good luck to you and everyone else this season!

Thanks,
Justin
Justin Goebel

Mowoodsman

Everyone pretty much hit all the good points.  When I don't have permission for private,  I hunt public.  The best advice I can give is get out about 2 weeks before season before dawn and sit and listen.  Don't move around, do it just like you were hunting them, know the lay of the land and don't bump them.  I think the 3 most important pieces of knowledge to take away from this is woodsmanship, patience and get away where you're average guy won't bother to go to.  Good Luck! 
Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

Life of Riley

Quote from: Bowguy on February 01, 2017, 01:01:59 PM
. Oh n leave the field birds alone on public property. Woods birds are easier imo

I'm not very experienced, but I agree! Saw these three toms three days in a row but couldn't get them in range. The 3rd day I had one come right up to the edge of my range, with a small bit of shrubbery in the way. I could have taken a long shot at him, but knew it would only be throwing up lead and didn't want my first shot at a turkey to be unethical. He was probably only 50 yards, and I felt my heart beating hard as I could see the white top of his head! The fan went up and then back in. I had a cheap foam decoy and it was the last week of the season, so I know he'd been hunted before(popular public spot). He hung up for about 5 minutes, and then slowly walked off to meet up with his buddies in the middle of the field. Later that day I snuk around to the other side of the field to get closer to the 3 toms. I was in a bad spot as far as sitting down, so I just made a call from 10 feet inside the tree line where my presence was concealed. I heard a loud gobble right behind me!!! Needless to say I'll never turkey call without finding a suitable setup again! Busted all around, but it was my rookie year hunting turkey tom, and no mentor, so I just learned from my mistakes and moved on.

catman529

Quote from: warrent423 on February 21, 2017, 05:32:10 PMSpoken like a true googan. Not ethical or good enough to call one to within 40 yards, so lets cripple them up at 60. Pathetic.
easy Cow I would have said it a little nicer than that.

If your pattern is good at 60 then shoot them at 60, but that's a stretch for most turkey guns. My farthest shot was 50 and that was luck that it killed with my setup. And that was a fall bird that I walked up on. Most of my public land kills are inside 30, so you can definitely get the birds in close even on heavily hunted land. Just hunt thicker woods where they have to come closer to see. If they always get hung up at 60 then you're hunting a too wide open space. Terrain also helps them come in closer if you set up right.

deerbasshunter3

I'm guessing I should stay away from easy access areas from the main road? Basically, open woods where I can park and walk right in, no problem?

GobbleNut

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 26, 2017, 01:35:04 AM
I'm guessing I should stay away from easy access areas from the main road? Basically, open woods where I can park and walk right in, no problem?

Again, I cannot emphasize the value of maps enough in situations like you are talking about.  Simply spending a bit of time on-line and looking at an area on Google Earth, as well as any other map resource of the area you plan on hunting will provide much insight as to where you should be hunting.  Often you can make printed copies of on-line map sources and then make your own detailed, marked map showing all the important information like boundaries, land status, road system, access points, and other pertinent info.  By doing that, you can often come up with a mental picture of where you should start looking to hunt. 

In terms of where you can "park and walk right in", that depends on the public area and if there are restrictions in where you must park/walk in to access the area.  If you are unfamiliar with the area, always refer to the rules and regulations specific to the area you plan to hunt. 

renegade19

If this dude would have taken about 6 more steps, he would have been between me and my truck which was parked about 70 yards away at a trailhead on public ground.  I'd have had to let him walk.  BTW, he was a midmorning bird.  My buddy killed his partner about 1/2 hour later when we looped around and set up on him for the 2nd time.  You just never know.  Get out and hunt.

catman529

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 26, 2017, 01:35:04 AM
no, you should hunt wherever you find birds while trying to stay away from other hunters. I've killed them close to the road before, and I've killed them far from the road. Just learn the land you are hunting.