OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Looking for advice from successful public land hunters.

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 01, 2017, 12:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Quote from: Happy on February 02, 2017, 06:08:31 PMUsually some farmers fields that attract birds butting right up against public ground. I won't trespass on anyone's property for any amount of money. But I am not against calling a turkey over to where he is fair game.

I use this tactic very often on public land. Call em across the property line. Bird is fair game if you can get him to play the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double B

This is a great thread.  I hunt public alot and rarely have problems, well worth the effort.  Pre scout the couple weeks before season, listen and make mental note of direction they generally head.   Get in early and set up in the timber on one before flydown,  if that doesn't work, move and call until you strike another gobbler and work him.  By mid morning I'd put your hen deke in a good location back on that burn and sit.  I won't use male dekes on public.   No way.   :fud:
Followed by buzzards

houagie

Take a lunch with you and stay all day if your state allows it.

silvestris

Don't waste your time scouting or hunting at daylight on opening day.  I drive around and see where others are parking, assuming they have done the scouting for me.  I bookmark their vehicles and then sit and look at the forest types at each parking spot on Google Earth from my iPad.  Later in the morning I then drive to the most promising spots and if the vehicles have left, I then go hunting.  On following mornings I try to be the first parked at one of the most promising locations.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

WyoHunter

Quote from: M22 on February 01, 2017, 08:52:12 PM
All are great answers and help.I have found out best time to hunt public is weekdays most people are working.  :anim_25:
I'm retired and that's when I hunt.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

ilbucksndux

If you cam a boat can get you farther away from others as well. More than once while at home and away I will motor up in a cove and listen
Gary Bartlow

catman529

Quote from: ilbucksndux on February 03, 2017, 04:14:03 PM
If you cam a boat can get you farther away from others as well. More than once while at home and away I will motor up in a cove and listen
around here lots of people go "bass fishing" in camo with their shotgun and do the same thing.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: silvestris on February 03, 2017, 12:43:47 PM
Don't waste your time scouting or hunting at daylight on opening day.  I drive around and see where others are parking, assuming they have done the scouting for me.  I bookmark their vehicles and then sit and look at the forest types at each parking spot on Google Earth from my iPad.  Later in the morning I then drive to the most promising spots and if the vehicles have left, I then go hunting.  On following mornings I try to be the first parked at one of the most promising locations.
Are you serious? Thats got to be the laziest way to hunt Turkeys I've ever heard of. Then you try and beat the guy to a spot he found on another day? Why not just sit in your truck wait till the guy kills one then rob him at gun point when he comes back to his truck at least he will have got a hunt in lol. That mentality is what's wrong with public land hunting
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Happy

That was sarcasm I believe. That's how I took it anyways. However unfortunately  that is a common theme you will deal with when hunting public ground. Lot of lazy people these days with no respect for anything. That's why I am nowhere near my truck when I hunt.  :D

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

CMBOSTC

The turkeys that you found tracks of in the field may be roosted several hundred yards or more from the field. I'd scout and see if I could cut them off before getting to the field. It's really hard to say what time of day they left those tracks. By finding where they roost you might be able to avoid everyone else and get first crack. Always have more than one option.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on February 04, 2017, 12:46:52 PM
The turkeys that you found tracks of in the field may be roosted several hundred yards or more from the field. I'd scout and see if I could cut them off before getting to the field. It's really hard to say what time of day they left those tracks. By finding where they roost you might be able to avoid everyone else and get first crack. Always have more than one option.

Finding out what time they were there was one reason I wanted to put out a camera. Also, this spot is about 100 yards south of a creek/oaks. I am thinking this is going to be a good area.

silvestris

Quote from: Phillipshunt on February 04, 2017, 12:05:41 PM
Quote from: silvestris on February 03, 2017, 12:43:47 PM
Are you serious? Thats got to be the laziest way to hunt Turkeys I've ever heard of. Then you try and beat the guy to a spot he found on another day? Why not just sit in your truck wait till the guy kills one then rob him at gun point when he comes back to his truck at least he will have got a hunt in lol. That mentality is what's wrong with public land hunting

No, robbing him would be doing what they do to me all too often, going in on top of him and ruining his hunt.  I may see twenty vehiclves parked, usually one in any spot you can park.  I sit on my toolbox and determine which spots deserve further scrutiny.  Anyone who hunts public ground and doesn't watch where others are hunting is.......  What I don't do is intentionally barge in where and when another is physically hunting.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

silvestris

Quote from: Phillipshunt on February 04, 2017, 01:19:37 PM
He used "I" a lot in his post ,I don't think it was sarcasm.Its bad enough to do such things but trying to infect others with the disease is shameful.

I could have used "me" instead of "I", but then it would appear that I was from Louisiana, which "me" am.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 04, 2017, 01:15:09 PM
Quote from: C. Brumfiel on February 04, 2017, 12:46:52 PM

Finding out what time they were there was one reason I wanted to put out a camera. Also, this spot is about 100 yards south of a creek/oaks. I am thinking this is going to be a good area.

In certain situations trail cameras will help you kill a turkey. Plotwatchers are the best camera for this tactic however. Set the camera on the opposite field edge (if the field is relatively small) or if the field is larger set it in the middle of the field facing back toward the sign. In order to set it in the middle of the field there will need to be a tree or power line or similar to place it. The object with this tactic is to know where the turkeys travel routes are and the areas that they want to be. It also gives you some intel on your competition.

silvestris

Quote from: Phillipshunt on February 04, 2017, 01:36:55 PM
2 bit hack

You are from Louisiana and if you hunt Kisatchie you have to hunt where someone else has hunted.  Now, I may be 69, but calling me a 2 bit hack to my face could cause me some injury, but at a cost.  I am going to forget that you posted that.