turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite/most successful decoy setup.

Started by deerbasshunter3, January 31, 2017, 01:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

What setups have you guys/gals found to be the most successful?

I am thinking of going with two hens and a jake decoy this year.

beakbuster10

1/2 strut Jake over a lay down hen or just the Jake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8rvet

most successful?  One feeding hen, one walking hen.  About 5 yards apart. 

Only used a jake decoy twice.  On the second one, it kept the gobbler spooked and the closest he would get was 60 yards. After the bird left, I snuck out and pulled the jake.  About an hour later Tom came back and came right in!.  I would assume that bird was not dominant and did not want to fight.  It was also opening day, so maybe he was just not wound up yet. 

But I only use them when field hunting, so I am not a great resource. I never use them in the woods. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

1iagobblergetter

I use 2 feeder hens about 3 or so feet apart followed by an upright jake about 4 - 5 ft from them. I always have the jake pretty much directly in front of me knowing from past experience the Gobbler usually heads for him giving me a straight on shot. I also keep them inside 20yds in case I get one that hangs up . If they don't i have em in close just how I like.

Bowguy

I use either a hen w a jake following close or a hen or two but I don't sit n rot. If I have a kid I use them n only in a roost set up.
You don't really need them but watching them interact is fun n it gives them something to look at. Never had em spook w DSD but have w others, especially Montana decoys.
Sometimes jakes do gang up on a gobbler n if I'd seen that previously I'd prob scrap jake

GobbleNut

My most successful set-up is when I open the closet door and the decoys that have been sitting there for years don't all fall out.... :toothy12: ;D
...sorry fellas,...I just couldn't resist.... :angel9:

WNCTracker

The last 3 that I killed last year were only with a full strut jake. That was my first time using it since I was on private land and not afraid of Elmer Fudd shooting me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

I have 5 DSD decoys I use sometimes all and sometime 1 and for different times of the season. Depends on early to late and what the birds are doing, then you get to shotgun vs bow and last is the hunt itself, run & gun to blind setups. But my most successful setup is with my Strutter and Upright Hen and have well over 100 longbeards using this pair.

I could go into a lot about decoys and use by the above mentioned statement but for most when they start I always suggest a DSD Jake & Upright Hen. This combo works!! You can stake the hen low for a Breeder. If you are doing 3 add in the Feeding hen next. Once you Learn how to hunt a Strutter "right" he's hard not to have a long, last one is the Leading Hen. I set (Gun Hunts) at 15yards and Bow Hunts at 10 Yards, these are "field/open timber" hunts, No dekes in regular timber unless there's a "roadway".

DSD's in order
Jake
Upright Hen
Feeding Hen
Full Strut
Leading Hen

MK M GOBL