OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Locators

Started by Will, January 30, 2017, 06:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

What out of the box tools have you used to locate birds besides a crow or owl call?
I've used a higher pitched goose call that I give a few long honks on. Works sometimes on those quiet mornings. A few years ago I got the idea when I was walking a fire road at dawn and a single goose flying tree top level was honking and the birds went crazy.

MK M GOBL

I have used a number of calls to shock gobble, at times a hen cutting and then have done a sand hill crane, coyote (only in evening for roosting), rooster pheasant, cow bellowing, peacock, woodpecker, elk bugle, Canada goose and yes crow & owl.

Not that I would ever do this but Dad and I were hunting down in Alabama and run into a guy shooting his gun in the air, confused I ask him what the heck are you doing??? He said "Shot" Gobbling them... We left the area.

MK M GOBL

West Augusta

Goose flute but the best locator I've found is a backup alarm.  :TooFunny:
Problem is there's never a D9 Cat, delivery truck or school bus around when you need one.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Bowguy

Any loud sharp noise can work. Another instructor one time was behind the house throwing up n each time he did the birds gobbled

davisd9

Crow call, but have one that can hawk scream as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SteelerFan

Quote from: Bowguy on January 30, 2017, 07:03:43 PM
Any loud sharp noise can work. Another instructor one time was behind the house throwing up n each time he did the birds gobbled
:TooFunny:

Can't get that visual out of my mind now... "bbBBBBLLLLLAAAAARRRRGGHH!"  :gobble:

kyturkeyhunter4

Coyote hawler has always worked good for me.

turkey harvester

TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Bowguy

Quote from: SteelerFan on January 30, 2017, 07:10:35 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on January 30, 2017, 07:03:43 PM
:TooFunny:

Can't get that visual out of my mind now... "bbBBBBLLLLLAAAAARRRRGGHH!"  :gobble:
He's a biologist for the state n the guy who runs hunter ed. Thinking he was getting sick cause he heard Hillary could be Pres, he seems better now

renegade19

Peacock/Pileated woodpecker works great for me.  Gets them to fire off a lot.

StrutStopper_71

When I was younger my parents had a Jacka$$ in there pasture and on good clear still morning birds would go crazy every time he turned loose. I have heard birds gobble at this several other times over the years. Wish could make a call that sounded like one. I'm telling you it works.

Marc

I also use a honker call...  One ranch I hunt there are a few around, and they are used to the noise enough that I do not believe it makes them nervous, but it still irritates them enough sometimes to make them gobble.

I have never had a response from a crow call, and had limited success from an owl call.

There are so many coyotes around that it seems to me that yotes talking seems to shut the birds up in my area (and I would think put them on edge).  The last two years, I called in more coyotes than turkeys for sure.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Greg Massey

During breaking hours of the morning i don't use any kind of a locator call, i just let nature wake the birds up. Most of the time during the day a honker, coyote or owl's are not walking around in the woods screaming During the day if i'm walking around i might use a crow call...But most of the time i will just do a few hen yelps on a box call...  It's just the way i've done it for over 30 years. I've seen were you can shut a gobbler up by making sounds early of a morning that he is not use to hearing. Nothing like a day with a little thunder, this will make a gobbler sound off for sure.

catman529

I've heard em gobble at goose flying over but the only locator I carry if I do carry one is a Primos Power Crow

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 30, 2017, 10:18:37 PM
During breaking hours of the morning i don't use any kind of a locator call, i just let nature wake the birds up. Most of the time during the day a honker, coyote or owl's are not walking around in the woods screaming During the day if i'm walking around i might use a crow call...But most of the time i will just do a few hen yelps on a box call...  It's just the way i've done it for over 30 years. I've seen were you can shut a gobbler up by making sounds early of a morning that he is not use to hearing. Nothing like a day with a little thunder, this will make a gobbler sound off for sure.
x2 Basically I pretty much do the same...