turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Solo or duo?

Started by FullChoke, January 27, 2017, 07:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

How do you like to hunt turkeys? Alone or with another hunter? Or a crowd?

I normally hunt by myself, but there are times (and birds) that coordinating with another hunter helps put one on the tailgate. There have been times where I felt that I really needed to paint an audible picture of a moving group of hens for a hung up gobbler and to get him to sneak into range of another gun.

How about you.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

paintbrush

I prefer to hunt by myself when I am trying to fill my own tags, but I do a lot of times where I will do most of the calling with other guys now. I take my son and grandson out and will sit with them. I will sit with my buddies if I fill my tag or tags on our out of state hunts.

xarcher

Just like Paintbrush, I guess I prefer to pull the trigger when alone.  It's that one-on-one game that we all enjoy.  When I am with others though it's more about getting them a shot.  I spend so much time in the turkey woods that I don't need to punch my tags at the expense of others.  Last year I shot 3 turkeys but 2 of them was when I was alone.  But I saw 10 other birds hit the ground last year that I called up for others (wife, son, juniors, friends) but could have just as easily shot all but one of them.     

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

3seasons

Either or for me.  Just depends on how the other person hunts.  I love hunting by myself just as much as I like hunting with someone else.  I love taking my daughter and watching her learn.

It comes down to hunting style I guess. (Ill hunt with anyone once)
I've got this one friend that I hunt with every year, he's probably got some of the best ground to hunt that someone could ever ask for. Nothing to hear 8-10birds a morning and there is always a few that gobble all day long. And he has 4 different properties to hunt. He hunts totally different than me and we normally just come away from a hunt with a good story. We do kill some birds and most of the time they are really nice birds 1 3\8" spurs a few years in a row. But we just don't click if you know what I mean.  Don't get me wrong I like hunting with him and will continue to do so but usually after a couple weekends of that I'm off chasing public land birds by myself. 

I do have my dad a couple other friends that I do click with and really like hunting with them. Its the kind of hunt where you really don't have to talk you just move and the other knows what you're thinking. Our calling styles are the same and things just click. I love going with my dad and calling in birds for him, kinda a repayment of everything he's taught me over the years and all the birds he let me shoot.

I get a little antsy when I haven't made a bird flop and I've called in a few for others so sometimes I have to have a little me time and feed the need to let that 870 bark. 

On my out of state trips I couldn't ask for a better hunting partner. I'm picky when a major investment is involved. I've got a couple of people that I'll travel with.