OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hanks Zebrawood glass over Aluminum (Soundbite Added)

Started by 870BkWht, January 26, 2017, 06:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

So I know I'm late to the party but I finally broke down and bought a Hanks Zebrawood glass over aluminum.  I know others here have done clued in  to his calls.  I've never run a Hanks pot before so I'm looking forward to it.  What strikers do you guys like on it?

Double B

I've got one on the way too, same call.  I read on some prior threads that the glass is harder to scratch with a stone and folks recommend using the sand paper that comes with the call.  After getting it good and conditioned, they all say it sings. 
Followed by buzzards

Clardh

I agree with the glass being harder ( or something). It does condition different than other crystals or glass calls. I use a lyman Bloodwood striker on mine and I love it. I also use a two piece dymond wood striker on it. You can never go wrong with that! Good Luck.....I think you'll love the call.  :icon_thumright:

Tom Dooley

I use the red 2 piece diamondwood that came from Lon Trice and medium grit sand paper. I would not recommend using a stone. I cant imagine a call getting much better than this one.

870BkWht

Update : My order came in the mail today that had the Hanks glass in it.  Of course I opened it and played it right away.  I am blown away by how good this call sounds. I played it with the striker it came with, and it really sings with a Stuckey dymondwood.

Double B

Got mine too, it sounds great.  I also ran a bloodwood striker quite a bit on it as well as the dymondwood it came with.  Really like the call. 
Followed by buzzards

Footballer

I was about to make a post about this call. I haven't seen many reviews on this call and thought maybe I just missed them. Sharp looking call! Anybody have a sound file?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjnfla

Quote from: Footballer on January 29, 2017, 08:28:01 PM
I was about to make a post about this call. I haven't seen many reviews on this call and thought maybe I just missed them. Sharp looking call! Anybody have a sound file?
https://youtu.be/-BxHm0N2rgQ    hanks sound file

3bailey3

The striker he sends with  it is the best. Best caller I have ran,

870BkWht

Ill try to review the call by saying this.  The cuts are sharp and the yelps break fast, but roll over really easy into some great rasp.  You almost think its a crystal surfaced call by the sound.  The purrs are super realistic and it just has that "IT" sound. 

The pot design is slightly concave and it makes it a sharp looking pot as well as making it easy to hold onto.

I have 3 Gary Anderson Daybreak Pots (Aluminum, Ceramic, Glass) and the Hanks Zebra sound equally as good as those, and it sounds equally as good as a Halloran Crystal Mistress.  Its no wonder why Hanks is now a DD Adams winner. 

I knew I would like it, but this pot will be in my vest on opening day.

mgm1955

vt35mag

Dang it, you guys make it hard for me to save any money!  Call sounds great.

870BkWht

Updated with a soundfile.  This was recorded in my basement so its not the best, but it gives you an idea.

https://soundcloud.com/ben-helms-2/hanks-zebra-glass-over-aluminum

3bailey3

Double B

I didn't listen to the whole file.....saw the kee kee comment, had to listen again!   Way to run that caller Ben, it can do it all.  Yeah, the dymondwood that Hanks send with it is a good striker......I'm  just running other favs on it too. 
Followed by buzzards