turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Mexico Turkey's

Started by Bedlinedf250, January 26, 2017, 01:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bedlinedf250

Hi I'm new here just joined yesterday. My name's David and I live in New Mexico. I've always wanted to hunt turkey and a few weeks ago I went out and got myself a gun. Is anybody in here from NM, I'd really appreciate some pointers. I hunt elk and deer in the fall and have came across turkey every year so I'm hoping to find some this spring.

USMC0331

Welcome! If I lived there I would definitely give you a hand. I wish you the best of success. I'm sure somebody will get in touch with you soon.

Bedlinedf250

Thanks for the kind words. I gotta question though since the areas I've seen the turkeys in the fall are covered in at least a foot of snow now if not more, what or where do they go when the grounds covered??

greencop01

:welcomeOG:  Welcome to the ranks of 'The Tenth Legion.'  With deep snow cover if it is widespread they'll live in trees till the snow melts and packs down. They'll survive by budding the trees.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Bedlinedf250

Wow never would've guessed. I thought they might migrate a lil to non covered ground. What kind of range do they cover as far as distance?? The last group I had seen was almost a month ago is there still a chance of them being around there??

FL-Boss

hunting turkeys at nearly 10,000 feet in NM was one the best experiences of my life. Wonderful place.

Tail Feathers

Turkey hunting has been described as elk hunting for the poor man. :toothy12:
Learn to call them, go scout and find them and then call 'em in close.

Pattern your gun so you know how far your shooting range will be on a bird.  Scout a lot.  Get some sound files of CD's or real turkeys and learn to call pretty good. 
Find the birds, make a good, well hidden set up and get you one!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Bedlinedf250

Good info tree rooster. How bout the cold though, I have a weather app that I check on time to time and it says it -5 at nights. I'm sure this will last well into February and maybe into March. Our season starts April 15. For this reason I'll probably put scouting off until the end of February, unless we get warm sooner.
As far as shot patterns what should I be trying to achieve.

RutnNStrutn

Scout, scout and scout some more. I'd start where you ran into turkeys while elk hunting. Looking forward to pics of your success!!!  :welcomeOG:

Turkeyman11

Definitely check the areas you found them in the fall, especially if it consists of Ponderosa country.  Also,  don't get in  a real big hurry when the weather is still nasty.  A few weeks prior to the season will usually pay off.  Look for tracks and strut marks in the roads and if possible get out in those morning leading up to the season.  Those Merriams can be very vocal.  Have hunted the Gila for 20 years now.  You're in for a great time.  Good luck!

Dtrkyman

Permanent water sources, look for some springs there should be some green pasture/meadows there and it should have birds!

Bigdaddysteve

Do you have to apply for turkey in New Mexico?

GobbleNut

There are at least a couple of us here on OG from NM.  I'm sure we can get you pointed in the right direction.  Where are you located?

gbfan

Do it!  I'm in Albuquerque and killed my first birds last yr.  Looking fwd to doing it again since I can't draw an elk tag!  Good advice on getting out a cpl wks before the season too, I spotted a cpl birds the wk before season last spring and they hadn't moved too far when opening day rolled around.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Bigdaddysteve on March 10, 2018, 04:48:43 PM
Do you have to apply for turkey in New Mexico?

Nobody answered your question,...and I don't want you guys from other parts of the country thinking us New Mexicans are rude (or more likely, can't read... :toothy12:), so I will...

Most turkey hunting opportunity in NM is unlimited, over-the-counter.  There are a few areas that have a drawing for limited licenses, but there is really no need to apply for those.  Our unlimited-license hunting is just as good.

Since we are on the subject of NM turkey hunting, as a non-resident, you are required to purchase a game hunting license ($65), a spring turkey license ($100...good for two birds), and two "stamps"....Habitat stamp ($5), and a Habitat Management and Access Validation ($4).  Non-resident total license cost is right around $175 (I believe there is a "vendor fee" of about a dollar or so).