OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 3519 times)

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Introductions
« on: January 25, 2017, 12:41:31 PM »
I figure since we have at least three new members on the team it would be a good idea to introduce ourselves to one another.  A few of us have been together for sometime, but life tends to have a way to making changes for us.  I will start.

My name is Donald Davis and I was born and raised in SC.  SC is where I will be doing my hunting this season, going to try to sneak off somewhere else if I can and especially if things end around here quickly.  Our season dates are private land March 20th - May 5th and public April 1 - May 5th.  I mostly hunt my father in laws farm and the WMA land surrounding it when it is open.  I do plan to hit the National Forest a few times this season and some land down by the river close to my house, hopefully I can long gun dirt road ninja when he comes over to hunt and long gun YoungbuckTX a time or two.  I jumped on the 20 ga wagon full time last year and had a great success with the gun.  It was a bit weird not having my faithful 835 by my side but the little 500 earned her keep and the 835 has done its job slaying ducks.  I am starting to get into full turkey mode and we still have just under 2 months to go.  I will be pulling out the gun here before long to make sure she is clean and shooting good.  Then I will roll a few shells.  I have already decided on what I am carrying in the vest and my biggest goal this year is to kill a Tom with nothing but a box call, came so close last year and the only call I have not done it with. 

Look forward to hunting with everyone this spring and I truly believe we will be very competitive this spring and hopefully the NY/NJ guys live up to the legend that NY native WNY Bowhunter has created for us southern boys.   ;D  I know we will have a bird from NY, Virginia, MS, GA, SC, and NJ.  Good luck guys!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline BABS9

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 01:16:28 PM »
Hey guys,
My name is Billy Schiavitti I am 22 years old out of NY. Western New York to be specific. I hunt pretty much everything. Turkey,Deer,predators,ducks,geese. Nothing quite like turkey hunting though! Most of my hunting will be done in NY (May 1-31) but recently got the OK to go to Ohio on there opening week and hunt a farm owned by some family of my girlfriends. So hopefully I can add an Ohio bird to the mix! First time hunting out of state for anything. I love collecting and trying different turkey calls. Mainly mouth calls, pot calls and box calls. I shoot a Remington 11-87 but in the market for a dedicated turkey gun. Thinking that Remington 870 turkey special but we will see..

Looking forward to getting to know all you guys and seeing what we can do this spring. Now turkey season just needs to hurry up.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »
Howdy,

My name is Russell, I live in south east Louisiana not far from Gotham City - AKA New Orleans. I make my living as a professional stuntman. When I’m not sacrificing my body for entertainment purposes I actively compete in the Red Bull Cliff Diving circuit. If you’re ever watching ESPN at like 3 in the morning, I’m the 42 year old American that never wins. Been turkey hunting for a few years now, some seasons are better than other, but normally can kill a bird or two. Most of the turkey hunting I do is in SW Mississippi, but hunt a few states every year. Hoping for SC, KS, LA, and either OK or TX. Time will tell. Really looking forward to heading up to SC and trying my hand at Donald’s home birds.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »
Name is Mike, I'm from NJ about a mile from the NY state line n hunt both states. I'm an archery instructor, hunter Ed instructor, mentor, did full time taxidermy. Outdoors is all I do.
I started turkey hunting in the mid 80s, it was hard to get help or information back than simply cause in my home state turkey season was just starting. No one knew anything.
Because NJ was so restricted permit wise I could hunt only when either I drew a permit (about every 3 years) or when a friend did. Our permits are good only for a week so I hunted NY back than too.
Killed my first bird there, never forget it.
The time I spent helping friends kinda grew on me, I mentor often be it kids-my favorite, disabled vets or just reg newbies.
I believe strongly in passing it down n in teaching the hows/whys/wheres.
Many kids especially say they think I'm more excited than they were once we're spreading a fan for pics. I love it but "I wasn't the one shaking young hunter!" I've often said I'd rather mentor than hunt myself, think because it's harder getting everything right for someone who's never been there. Than again maybe it's the smiles.
I can be competitive, this team competition has put a fire in me already. Hopefully the snow melts quick so the birds can feed well all winter and the beards come through in good shape. I've been looking n seeing some already.
Hope I can help n looking forward to trying. Thanks for having me

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 11:05:37 AM »
Hello!  My name is Jim Basham, born and raised in SW Virginia.  Do all of my hunting in VA and honestly 5-10 minutes from my house on a piece of property I've been fortunate to hunt for the last 8 years.  Been chasing turkeys for close to 25 years, wow I'm gettin' old  ;).  I love to deer hunt, squirrel hunt, dove hunt, waterfowl hunt but if I'm doing the latter and I hear turkeys I lose all focus.  Something magical about these birds that unless you've experienced it cannot be explained.  I live within city limits but back up to mountains on the backside of our house and have been known to stand in my backyard calling to turkeys I hear when I'm letting our dog out.  Neighbors probably think I'm nuts but I don't care!  I like to fall turkey hunt also but didn't get to do it much this year with my job so I'm going in this year with all 3 of my tags, Lord willing I'll have 3 more beards and 3 more sets of spurs to add to the collection.  Glad to be a part of this team, great bunch of guys!

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »
Hello my name is Shannon Wright. I live in SC grew up in Talladega Ala. Got out of the Marines in 95. I have hunted in several states such as South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, Nebraska and Oklahoma. Not sure if I will be going out of state this year as of yet. Nice to hear from you all and hope you all have a successful turkey season.

Offline Turkeykiller12

Introductions
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 09:56:46 PM »
Hello fellow turkey hunters, I am Michael Ballew. I reside in the northwestern part of GA in a small town called Tallapoosa. Every bit of my hunting is done in the same county that I live in. I've been really blessed with a few pieces of property that have been really good to me in the past. I've been a Spur collector in the past but haven't been a part of the team in the last couple of years. 99.99999% of my time is juggled between my wife/kids and my job. The other .000001% goes to hunting. I am a water treatment operator and really enjoy my career, I got into it early and hopefully it is where I will retire. I stay pretty busy raising my two boys and I wouldn't trade anything for that. The picture below is one of my proudest moments as a turkey hunter. It's my 7 year old at the time with his first gobbler. It's a morning that will never be forgotten.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline YoungbuckTX

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »
My name is Philip. I am addicted to hunting, all kinds, but especially turkeys. I hunt the upstate of SC.
Really looking forward to reading y'alls posts. 49 days to go and counting.

line 'em up

Offline SwampRooster17

• The Boss Gobbler
Introductions
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 02:22:43 AM »
My name is Chase Beebe. I am 26. Born and raised in upstate South Carolina. Me and my younger brother do a lot of hunting and fishing together. I love to hunt turkey,deer,dove, and love to turn some hounds out for coons. I'm pretty new to turkey hunting.
Last year was my first season really getting after some birds. I will be hunting private and public around the house. I don't know many turkey hunters around my parts so I look forward to getting to know you fellas. Good luck this spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:07:40 AM by SwampRooster17 »

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 09:12:57 AM »
Howdy,

My name is Steven and live in Southeast Missouri not far from the Arkansas state line. My grandpa started me deer and turkey hunting when I was 13. I've been hooked ever since.

In addition to deer and turkeys, I've attempted to get into elk hunting the past few years. No kills there and few encounters but fun none the less. I also like to set a trap or two to try and keep the coyotes and cats thinned down. 

I have one son, Chase. He's a freshman at ASU this year and shoots competitive archery.  I guess I can blame myself for his archery habit.

I'm set for a good spring and hope you guys are too.  Take care and good luck.

Steven

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 05:07:59 PM »
Welcome aboard SwampRooster17 and Rzrbac.  Great bunch of guys on this team, we'll do our best to make ya'll feel right at home. 

Offline Bustabeak

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Carroll county Georgia!
    • Smallwood and sons
Introductions
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 09:44:52 AM »
Hello everyone. My name is Josh. I've been hunting turkeys since my early 20's and I'm now 35. So I've been chasing these grand old birds for 15 years! They get me just as fired up now as they did the first cool march morning I killed my first one. I'm Villa Rica, Georgia. It's about 30 minutes from Atlanta and 30 minutes from Alabama. So I do hunt a little in both states. However this year I haven't rounded up any property in Alabama. Still working on that.

I just had my first child, Hoyt in November. So if your a bow hunter you know where the name came from. Hahaha! I love hunting anything I can, but the older I've got, the more I love bird hunting. Turkey, dove, ducks, etc. but if I have the chance, I'll hunt anything! Hope we all have a good season this year! Looking forward to seeing yalls pictures of birds! Opens here in Georgia march 25th!