OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Bird number two, with video (well, i gues that is a matter of opinion)

Started by Crutch, April 06, 2011, 10:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crutch

I decided to hunt alone this afternoon so I could jump up and get to church without having to put anyone out. I set up on the back side of a small block off woods and had no results. I stalked across and up toward the other corner and saw some birds on the front field. I crawled to a good log to lean against and started calling. For 10 minutes nothing happend. I pulled out a mahogany call (slate over glass) I made which is loud and noisy and bossy. In a couple minutes I saw movement closer to me. I let her rip again sounding like a desperatly lost hen and they headed in. A couple hens and two jakes passed then two more hens. I kept waiting for a tom to straggle by. Nothing, so I gave it a few and stood up to see where everyone went and make another setup. Just before I took a step I saw a bird stretching its winds and sat back down. This time I had my cell phone in my shooting hand and called again. I saw a strutter and started recording. He moved out in front of the hen and came in. Well, you just can effectively video with a cell, shoot and keep videoing. The gun barrel jump about a foot, the butt of the stock slams me hard in the shoulder and everything falls in the leaves. The tom starts running and I stood up and shot again. Then I start scrambling for my Pappy's striker. Finally I give up and grab a cherry I made and try to calm them down. I'm so shook up I could hardly run the call. He piles up a few seconds later. Sorry about the long post and mostly usless video but it was a total blast.

Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

RutnNStrutn

Wow!!! And I thought my videos sucked!!! :lol: Thanks for making me feel better!!! ;D :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: Congrats on pulling it together and getting your bird though, and the video did start out pretty cool!! :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

savduck

Georgia Boy

TURKEYSLAYER101

Congrats! I loved when the gun went off and stuff flew everywhere!   :icon_thumright:

TURKEYSLAYER 101
Some people hear voices in their heads. I hear turkeys!!!!

Hognutz

Nice bird. Video was a little suspect..Well done, either way.. :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: TURKEYSLAYER101 on April 07, 2011, 08:12:05 AM
Congrats! I loved when the gun went off and stuff flew everywhere!   :icon_thumright:

TURKEYSLAYER 101
That was my favorite part too!! :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:  Looks like something I would have done! :TooFunny:
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

LX_Trkyhntr

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff

Basser69

mmusso

Crutch

22lbs 1 oz
7/8ths spur
1 inch Spur
9 inch beard.

Man, I got a sore shoulder today but it sure was worth it. Hopefully going with just a video camera this afternoon to help my buddy get one.  Here is the pic from yesterday. Nothing special, just an average bird.

I learned something else too. All that jaz about calling softly and quietly and seldom is not the golden rule all of the time. Some times you have to get loud and lonely, like 6 or 7 yelps rising and falling in volume or  turning the call as you run it, then when you have their attention do a 3 yelp and a cluck and maybe throw in a loud high pitched cluck. I learned that from a hen herself opening day. Then sometimes nothing works. Go figure. Thats what makes this fun.

Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: Crutch on April 07, 2011, 04:30:38 PM
22lbs 1 oz
7/8ths spur
1 inch Spur
9 inch beard.

Nothing special, just an average bird.

I beg to disagree!  Every wild turkey you kill is special!  Sounds like a GREAT bird to me!! :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:  Lots of guys on this board and across the country would LOVE to get to carry one like that back to the truck!