OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reverse combo cut

Started by compton30, January 25, 2017, 01:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compton30

So I am new to running diaphragm calls. I used Shane Simpson's Mouth Calling Mechanics youtube video to finally get going on the right path, and one thing I've noticed is that all call makers have the combo cut but not the reverse combo cut. I was wondering why that was. Like I said, new to the mouth call game but was just wondering. Thanks.

slwayne

Something I have wondered about as well.  Have not been successful at finding reverse combo cuts on call-makers' websites.  I'm gonna guess that the answer is that most call-makers will make a reverse combo cut if requested.

GobbleNut

Interesting observation.  Personally, I believe this is because most of the big name call makers are more interested in selling product than catering to specific needs of individual callers.  The great majority of mouth call users are not "sophisticated" enough in the use of mouth calls and how individual mouth call mechanics can impact the sound that can be made with a call.

Most guys don't understand that the variations in sounds that they can achieve with a call are a function of how they force air over the reeds of the call, rather than just based on the call construction.  The very best mouth call users,...many of which become call makers,...are capable of adjusting the air flow over the call reeds to achieve desired sounds.  However, most mouth call users just haven't reached that point with their calling. 

Simply put, most guys need a call to fit their air-flow technique while the very best adjust their air-flow technique to fit the call they have in their mouth.  Because of that, many call makers don't comprehend the need for such things as the reverse combo cut, or other offset reed cut variations. 

Bowhuntr73

Does the reverse cut make it easier or harder to push air through it?? Most mouth calls I try seem too big for my palette, i hear guys will trim them. Not a technique I can master!!

compton30

The way Shane explains in the Mouthcalling Mechanics video is that your mouth naturally wants to push the air through a certain channel and based on which channel that is, decides which cut you should use on a diaphragm call. So with this logic a reverse combo cut would make it easier for you to make turkey sounds IF your natural air flow was on that cut (left) side of the reed. As for the pallet issue, I'd recommend a smaller sized frame (all call makers seem to offer this) and less tape.

I think Gobblenut nailed it. Those guys can control their air flow much more precisely and consistently to make the call work for them.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 25, 2017, 06:27:57 PM
Interesting observation.  Personally, I believe this is because most of the big name call makers are more interested in selling product than catering to specific needs of individual callers.  The great majority of mouth call users are not "sophisticated" enough in the use of mouth calls and how individual mouth call mechanics can impact the sound that can be made with a call.

Most guys don't understand that the variations in sounds that they can achieve with a call are a function of how they force air over the reeds of the call, rather than just based on the call construction.  The very best mouth call users,...many of which become call makers,...are capable of adjusting the air flow over the call reeds to achieve desired sounds.  However, most mouth call users just haven't reached that point with their calling. 

Simply put, most guys need a call to fit their air-flow technique while the very best adjust their air-flow technique to fit the call they have in their mouth.  Because of that, many call makers don't comprehend the need for such things as the reverse combo cut, or other offset reed cut variations.
That's me to the "T". Gimme a V-cut or a sawtooth cut and I'm fine. Much more than that and who knows. These are just the two that I feel confident using at the moment. Have a few that I don't run well at all: batwing comes to mind but there's definitely others. I've just not mastered the diaphragm enough at this point to really get concerned about special cuts for myself. I just grab one, if it works great. If not I put it back in the package and pitch it.

GobbleNut

Quote from: wvmntnhick on January 26, 2017, 04:41:25 PM
I've just not mastered the diaphragm enough at this point to really get concerned about special cuts for myself. I just grab one, if it works great. If not I put it back in the package and pitch it.

I suspect that a pretty high percentage of mouth call users are in this exact same position.  For many years, I did the same thing,...until I started experimenting with calls I bought by modifying the reed cuts myself.  I quickly discovered that just about any call can be modified with some simple little changes in the reed cuts that will greatly improve the sound.  I highly recommend that anybody that is in the habit of just tossing a call that doesn't sound good to learn to go through some very basic reed modifications before throwing out calls.  A pair of scissors is really all that is needed,...and even some very inexpensive ones will make the reed cuts just fine. 

wvmntnhick

Maybe I'll give it a go later.

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: compton30 on January 25, 2017, 08:31:47 PM
The way Shane explains in the Mouthcalling Mechanics video is that your mouth naturally wants to push the air through a certain channel and based on which channel that is, decides which cut you should use on a diaphragm call. So with this logic a reverse combo cut would make it easier for you to make turkey sounds IF your natural air flow was on that cut (left) side of the reed. As for the pallet issue, I'd recommend a smaller sized frame (all call makers seem to offer this) and less tape.

I think Gobblenut nailed it. Those guys can control their air flow much more precisely and consistently to make the call work for them.
Hooks Custom Calls would be a good place to start.
Anybody seen America lately?

sasquatch1

Hooks Swindler!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devastator

Quote from: The Cohutta Strutter on January 27, 2017, 06:54:14 PM
Quote from: compton30 on January 25, 2017, 08:31:47 PM

Hooks Custom Calls would be a good place to start.
I would call Scott from Hooks he can make ya anyting ya want

SteelerFan

Hooks SWINDLER or PERSUADER come in the reverse combo.

http://www.hookscalls.com/diaphragm_calls