OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Benelli nova choke/shot question.

Started by Daniel703, January 23, 2017, 02:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel703

I have just ordered a Benelli nova 12ga with the 24 inch barrel along with a carsons extended (non ported) choke with a .650 consrtiction. I will be shooting win long beards. I prefer 5 shot but I'm wondering with a constriction that tight should I try 6 shot first? I know you need to pattern to see what works best as I plan to do but I'd like to see if any one has any experience with this set up before my gear comes in. I only have experience with a rem 870 with a .665 comp-n-choke so I'm excited/ curious about this new set up.

SteelerFan

SumToy

we have seen the 650 work.  I got one guy shooting 660 with 4s  :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Daniel703

Thanks guys. My gun and choke are in. I bought the black synthetic nova so I could do my own paint job on it. Once I finish it I'm going to pattern it and I'll see if I can post my results.

C.Kimzey95

I shoot a 26" barrel Nova with a .655 older style primos jellyhead.. good results with longbeards, turkey thugs, and federal 3rd degrees... still got a lot of shells I am wanting to try out of it. Novas are great guns and I don't think you will be disappointed !

Daniel703

Ok so here are my results. My pictures have to many pixels I thinks because it won't let me post them. But It was 40 degrees with a 9mph wind. I was shooting a Benelli nova with a carlsons .650 choke. Both loads I tried were the win long beards 5 and 6 shot standard velocity of 1200 fps in 3 1/2 inch. I had 155 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40yds with the 6 shot. I had 135 in a 10 inch circle at 40yds with the 5 shot. What do you guys think of those results? I'm well aware that's more than enough to fold a gobbler but is that a great,average or poor result compared to
Your experiences?

BowBendr

Sounds like it's a little below average. I can't speak to the Longbeards from my Nova, I've only shot Hevi 6's thru an SSX choke and got great results so I never tried anything else. I have not shot it in a few years, if you want to try the SSX shoot me a pm and i'll let you try it out, it can't hurt. Should bring those wlb numbers up a bit.

Daniel703

Thanks BowBendr. In your opinion what is an above average shot count you look for in a 10 inch circle? Also do you think the wind and temperature may have affected my pattern enough to make a difference?

BowBendr

The temp was a little chilly but that or the wind should not have affected the numbers terribly bad. Im going to assume that your point of impact was somewhat close to your aiming point and that you were using a large sheet of paper to capture the whole pattern, THEN drew the 10" circle around the densest part of said pattern ?

Not comparable to the Nova, but in the setup I am currently shooting the LB's with, I average 140 with #4 shot and 180 with 5's. I do believe your numbers can come up quite a bit but how do the patterns look now ? Not considering the pure numbers, is the pattern nice, even and full or is it uneven and splotchy ?

Other factors could be at play, it's a new gun. Was it thoroughly cleaned before the shots taken, did you swab or brush between shots ? Lots of variables at play......

Daniel703

Well I found my poa was very close to my poi so I actually shot at a already drawn 10 inch circle. I did this to see exactly what my pattern would have been had I been hunting. If I had drawn a circle around the most dense part of my pattern I may have had higher numbers. But yes it was a brand new gun and no I didn't clean the barrel or swab in between shots. This is my first time patterning MY gun. I always used a family members gun up until this year now that I have my own. Thanks for educating me. Moving forward I will pattern differently than I did today. Oh and yes my pattern was even across my target. That was something I was very pleased with.

agent eight seven O

Get ya some Hoppes no. 9 and a cheap cleaning kit and go to town scrubbing the bore. You will be surprised what comes out of that new bore. Make sure you swab it until your patches come out clean. That gun with #6 longbeards should put up numbers close to 200. Good luck with your new gun.

Daniel703

I appreciate the feed back. I didn't think a new gun would have a dirty bore. I'll make sure it's clean next go around.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Daniel703 on February 04, 2017, 10:04:31 PM
I appreciate the feed back. I didn't think a new gun would have a dirty bore. I'll make sure it's clean next go around.

Here's a link to the process of "deep cleaning" http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel

It's a simple process but it works if you follow the guidelines closely.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Daniel703

Ok guys I have an update. I measured my predrawn "10 inch"" circle that I had and found out they were 9 inch circles. So my actual numbers are 175 with the 5 shot and 206 with the 6 shot. I did find that I hit 2 inches high at 40 yards so had I drawn a circle around the tightest part of my pattern my number would have been higher. Rough estimate is say I'd had at least  15 to 20 more pellets in a 10 inch had I patterned the right way. That being said I am pleased with this choke load combo but I would def like to hear of other loads that I should try. Thanks and sorry for my inexperience lol