OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call for kids?

Started by BlakeJ, January 23, 2017, 03:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeJ

What's the easiest call to learn for kids?

TerryLNanny

Box call or push pin, are easy to get good sounds from.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The Gobblers I've had the pleasure calling in have never been the same.

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

Bowguy

Great suggestions! My daughters started young, the younger of the two believe it or not likes mouth yelpers. Mark Sharpe made a can call for her, the older likes scratch boxes. That's not normal n I believe in boxes to get the basic yelps the easiest. I'd still allow them to run some of your calls n let them pick. If they don't love the caller they're not gonna practice.
Make sure whatever the call it's easy to use. If they want things harder they'll ask

HFultzjr

Primos Box Cutter
Cheap
Easy to play
Great sounding
Recommended by many

Then move them up to some custom box calls.

PM me if you need some. I have new ones I use just for this purpose.

Clardh

I would agree with a box call but don't underestimate a child. They can mimic the best of us and I wouldn't be opposed to handing them a pot call and letting them listen to a cd of turkeys and watch out!

TauntoHawk

first call i figured out as a kid was a pot call but a single sider box would be an easy start too. I think the very easiest would be a push pin but there aren't a ton of those around
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MK M GOBL

I have started hundreds of kids on a slate call (I donate them to each student), the surface lends itself to easy calling and very easy to make a variety of sounds on. I have created a "Map" to calling on a pot call and each student receives a copy when in class.

MK M GOBL

mwr

MG150

Take a look at Russell Beard's "Beardhunter calls" small one sider box.The box is only 4 1/2 inches long.I have played them at Unicoi.There is a lot of turkey in this little box.You can go to his website and see him playing it.I'm going to get my granddaughter one next year she will be turning 5

Dr.Love

My son is two and I gave him a cheap box call to play with. Just laid it in his toy box one day and let him play with it whenever he wants to. He loves the thing.

mgm1955

Techn9cian02

Most people figure out box calls or push pins the quickest but I learned how to use pot calls first, easiest for me idk why

Planner

My girls are 6&8 and can both run a slate pot call. My oldest started around 5. They both do fairly well on my glass calls but the slate is much more forgiving. We've had some fun calling birds in the spring... they aren't "champion" callers but we have fun... and that's all that matters. It was awesome to hear that first bird answer my daughter's call... her eyes lit up....priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Quote from: Planner on January 26, 2017, 11:02:52 PM
My girls are 6&8 and can both run a slate pot call. My oldest started around 5. They both do fairly well on my glass calls but the slate is much more forgiving. We've had some fun calling birds in the spring... they aren't "champion" callers but we have fun... and that's all that matters. It was awesome to hear that first bird answer my daughter's call... her eyes lit up....priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My daughters are now 13 n 16. The memories made will never be forgotten. Awesome for you all!