OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wanted to get opinions

Started by Volgobbler, January 22, 2017, 04:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volgobbler

I hunt a small property,  about  30 acres. Half is woods and one large field. I've been hunting for 3 years and it's always had beans in the field. Last year had 22 turkeys on my camera at one time in February.  Ended up taking a nice Tom opening morning. This year I have only seen turkeys one time on camera since November.  The field was in cotton this year so I'm thinking that has a lot to do with so few turkeys. A couple of  guys who have been hunting for years tell me not to worry, that they will be there eventually when hens start dispersing.  What do you guys think?

Dr Juice

I would agree with them if the field provided a good food source. Otherwise, they may use it as a corridor to get to where they want to be. Just my $0.02. Good luck.

Greg Massey

Gobbler like to skirt around those field edges looking for hens ...

dirt road ninja

I would think you will see a decrease in activity.

Bowguy

I agree w dirt road ninja. 30 acres unfortunately isn't a lot. Without food they want or if the crops/grass get too high where you're hunting the birds won't frequent the area as much.
Do yourself a favor n check back but at the same time find other birds in case you need them.

guesswho

They won't be far.   if there's a good population of turkeys in the area I'd feel confident hunting the 30 acres.  Turkeys are like people.  Not everyone is allowed access to prime real estate.   Some have to take what they can get.  So I'd bet at least one gobbler will be checking that 30 acres from time to time, especially if he hears a hen.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bbcoach

Does the field still have standing stubble or has it been bush hogged?  Several years ago, I killed a beautiful bird along the edge of a standing stubble cotton field about 10 am.  The bird was in the field with several ladies gobbling every time I called but due to the stubble I couldn't see him.  I moved to a spot along the edge of the field where we had seen them a few days before and the entire group came out 20 yards from me.  I don't know what they were eating in the field but I waited for nearly an hour after I located them to get the shot.  With the cotton stubble still in the field I heard them make their way toward me as their feathers rubbed the stubble.  If there is food for them in the field, the hens will be there and if the hens are there so will the longbeards.

Volgobbler

Quote from: bbcoach on January 22, 2017, 05:51:09 PM
Does the field still have standing stubble or has it been bush hogged?  Several years ago, I killed a beautiful bird along the edge of a standing stubble cotton field about 10 am.  The bird was in the field with several ladies gobbling every time I called but due to the stubble I couldn't see him.  I moved to a spot along the edge of the field where we had seen them a few days before and the entire group came out 20 yards from me.  I don't know what they were eating in the field but I waited for nearly an hour after I located them to get the shot.  With the cotton stubble still in the field I heard them make their way toward me as their feathers rubbed the stubble.  If there is food for them in the field, the hens will be there and if the hens are there so will the longbeards.
it has been bush hogged and is relatively clear. The three surrounding fields bordering the property is in winter wheat. There are TVA power lines running through the middle of the land and the hens have made nests there throughout the last 3 years , so IM hoping this will be the case again. thanks for all the advice

3bailey3

I hope they show back up for you. I would go crazy on only a 30 acre spot,I love to see something new everyday. Lucky we have lots of public land close by.

turkeyfoot

Is really a crap shoot on small piece of property if there s better food source near with adequate nesting your in trouble but you'll have to wait till later to see I''d be looking for other spots in mean time

The Woodsman

Find better properties with more birds.

Denny

MK M GOBL

One thing I would mention is the woods good nesting habitat? If it will hold a few hens toms will be there, 30acres is not a lot of ground but if it's the "right" 30 it's gold. I have some good ground and there are definite hot spots where the birds are. Scouting well will give you your answers, of course I would also be looking for a backup spot.

MK M GOBL

bbcoach

Scouting, around two weeks before the season, will give you your answer.  Scout, at first light, and listen for gobbling.  Don't call, just listen.  If the winter wheat is still short when the season starts, the birds will use it.  To me, the power lines should be a good strut zone for gobblers if you have some timber near by.  If the birds have been nesting on the power lines right of way for the last 3 years, they will probably be back again.  As others have said, don't put all your eggs in one basket and look for more areas to hunt.  Good Luck.

VA_Birdhunter

Your probably seeing the affects of the change in crops now but hang in there....I think they will be back!  Might not be as many but it might also surprise you!  Spring makes those long beards go nuts and they will be lookin!!  Wish the best to u buddy!!  God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

tha bugman

Quote from: Volgobbler on January 22, 2017, 04:09:22 PM
I hunt a small property,  about  30 acres. Half is woods and one large field. I've been hunting for 3 years and it's always had beans in the field. Last year had 22 turkeys on my camera at one time in February.  Ended up taking a nice Tom opening morning. This year I have only seen turkeys one time on camera since November.  The field was in cotton this year so I'm thinking that has a lot to do with so few turkeys. A couple of  guys who have been hunting for years tell me not to worry, that they will be there eventually when hens start dispersing.  What do you guys think?
If the hens are there...then they will be there